1968 D penny. Can someone tell me what kind of error is this and is it worth anything?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1968 D penny. Can someone tell me what kind of error is this and is it worth anything?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

may i ask,... "what is the Mp of these images, plz" ?? :mad:

using these pics:
...image a bit "grainy" ..... :dunno

a possible 'planchet flaw' ... ??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Kristidplunkett
Coining Around

Re: 1968 D penny. Can someone tell me what kind of error is this and is it worth anything?

#3 Unread post by Kristidplunkett »

I don't know how I can post any better on this site. Thanks for your help.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Looks like a circular (arc) gouge into the die that doesn't reach the depth of the legends.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Kristidplunkett
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Kristidplunkett »

Is it worth anything if I have it graded?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I looks like a substance on the coin, even if it was a lamination or some planchet flaw this coin is circulated and heavily marked up, so it is not a candidate for submission. The submission fees would be more than the coin is worth.

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 am I looks like a substance on the coin, even if it was a lamination or some planchet flaw this coin is circulated and heavily marked up, so it is not a candidate for submission. The submission fees would be more than the coin is worth.
i agree with D here on the 'submission issue' ....

:eureka:
it seems now days everyone is to eager to have their coin "graded for sale",
... or 'making money' :s

also, we need to keep in mind that not having 'large high resolution / high Mp images' ( :mad: ) for on-line 'review / purchases' , makes it extremely difficult to attribute what we are shown.
.... this is why you see the on-line proliferation of so called "ERROR COINS", that are NOT really 'errors' per-se, being sold to the "UNDER-EDUCATED" masses for over the top, way-out wacko prices !! :sos:

:eureka:
.....which in turn .... leaves us with a vast majority of the 'scopes' used today, that are NOT a high enough quality needed for the "INTERNET IMAGES" that are used today.

JMO
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Kristidplunkett
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Kristidplunkett »

Thanks JMO for your input. I never said anything about selling anything. I have never sold a coin just more interested in the error than anything

jesjon
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by jesjon »

Hi kristidplunkett! What you could do just in case it is a foreign substance on the coin is get a small glass container (i use a shot glass) of acetone, nail polish remover and not the gel (messy). Put your penny in the glass then pour just enough acetone in the glass to cover the penny then another small splash to cover evaporation. You can take a set of tweezers and move the penny around a little to help release the buildup. After about 2 min remove the penny and rinse it off in the sink and wipe it dry. No more foreign substance. This method is only for pennies that are heavily circulated and NOT for key dates, silver, gold or other coins, only this type of coin.