2012 D Sheild cent.

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Coinhunter91
Coining Around

2012 D Sheild cent.

#1 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Hello, new here and hope this is the right place to ask.
I have a 2012 D sheild cent, at first I'd thought it to be a doubled die but was told its a different issue. Was hoping to get more info/ideas on whats happening and how it happens. Thanks!
Attachments
20180209_212126.png
PSX_20180209_140445.png
PSX_20180211_095116.jpg
PSX_20180211_094951.jpg
Last edited by Coinhunter91 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 2012 D Sheild cent.

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome to the forum. Another early bird!
Nice clear images. (I'm jealous. lol: )
It certainly appears to have legitimate notching and separation on UST.
Can you please provide full obverse and reverse images.
I may be getting ahead of myself because I am no pro, you can check out John Wexlers site, doubleddies.com. Here is a link for 2012's . Nothing at all is showing up for 2012D at Variety Vista.
Possibly it is a known variety but the details on TRUST might be overlooked on his images for some reason.
(It happened with a 2017p discovery I submitted to him that he listed.)

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

i hugeeyes a light separation of the motto also in these pics ......

possible minor CLASS II ??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I'm sure Wexler would list it.
Denver mint has very few modern LC varieties that it has produced.
You would be throwing a bone of hope to those collectors in the mid west and West coast if you sent it to get listed. happydance:

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Photos have been added of the Obverse and Reverse as requested

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks for the updated images.
With the die flow lines and ridge ring it looks like a mid to late die stage so there should be plenty of these out there for others to find also.
Thanks for sharing.
Were you able to find anything at Wexlers site?

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Negative nothing listed or similar on wexlers. I just dont know if i should send it in or not..

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

In other words.. Would it really be worth sending in?

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Well yours would be worth more than subsequent ones because it would be the discovery coin (if John Wexler listed it on doubleddies.com .) He would not grade or encapsulate it but he would provide a letter describing his new listing number that you could use if you sent it to be encapsulated.
Fees would be $8 per coin (plus postage coming and going) I believe and he has a strict limit of five (5) coins submitted at a time.
The link I included in post #2 will take you to his site and you can find other information he provides to be able to submit coins.

Good luck and I hope you do it because it's a :winnah: and there really are very few modern varieties coming from the Denver mint.
It will give searchers out west a variety to look for. hugeeyes

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Ok so ive been looking over many more cents minted withen 2010-2017 and have seen this exact "doubling effect" taking place on some.. Ken potter had told me it was not doubled but a different issue i think he said with the plating (cant remember). But I think he is correct because the more I look the more I'm finding this way. Wexler had some listed similar to this but had later removed them Is what he said.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Coinhunter91 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm Ok so ive been looking over many more cents minted withen 2010-2017 and have seen this exact "doubling effect" taking place on some.. Ken potter had told me it was not doubled but a different issue i think he said with the plating (cant remember). But I think he is correct because the more I look the more I'm finding this way. Wexler had some listed similar to this but had later removed them Is what he said.
You wont find me going toe to toe with Ken Potter because I'm a relative novice. Did he get a chance to look at it in hand?

As we always say, it's tough to make a determination from images alone. Light reflection can play tricks on the eyes.
But I'm stubborn and probably would send it to some one with the weight to make that determination from an in hand look.
Let us know what you find out if you send it in.

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Only through photos. But i have found similar looking ones in 2017 D cents as well. Not as spread as this one but definitely the same effect. Ill try to see what I can find out out about it. Ill update soon.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Yes, in 2017 the Denver mint had a lot of thicker than normal devices for some reason on the reverse.
But yours is 5 years prior and on the obverse.
John Wexler is really straining under the volume of submissions and attribution requests he received this new year, as well as emails, so it may take a while for him to catch up.
Best of luck whichever avenue you pursue

Paul

#14 Unread post by Paul »

may i ask,...

at what 'magnification' was the 'UST' image snapped at ??

whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Coinhunter91
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by Coinhunter91 »

Unsure, the device I use doesn't really tell the magnification.