Introduction

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
eldon.pfaffly
Coining Around

Introduction

#1 Unread post by eldon.pfaffly »

Hello to everyone!! I see a lot of interesting topics here. I look forward to getting to know everyone. It's nice to be on a site that deals with lots of different topics. Last night I was going through one of my old coin books and came across a real oddity. It is an 188?(Looks like 3 or 8) Victory Nickel. Upon closer inspection I found that it has been struck at least 2 or 3 times on both sides of the coin. The front has what looks to be an extra profile on the left of the bust and also on the top middle right side. The rear looks to have one or two extra bust bottoms imprinted on it along with some other strange markings. I have had this coin in my collection for about 30 years but never noticed it until I recently bought a digital microscope and that's when all of the features came to my attention. I could use some input and thoughts concerning this coin and maybe even an idea (ballpark) of what a coin of this type might be worth. It is unique and one of a kind. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some insight about this coin. I look forward to any responses and also to being a part of your community.
Attachments
Back United States.jpg
Back V.jpg
Close Back Letters.jpg
Close front.jpg
Date.jpg
doubling.jpg
Front.jpg
Top Left Medium.jpg
Top Left.jpg
Top Close.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Introduction

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

from these pics ..... hugeeyes
this coin appears to have some type of "foreign substance" on the surface,.....
...possibly 'glue', maybe 'clear nail polish' ?? :dunno

JMO
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

eldon.pfaffly
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by eldon.pfaffly »

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it :D Thank you also for your thoughts. I know it is hard to tell from just looking at pictures and not handling the coin, but actually the markings on the coin are actually stamped into the metal from when it was made. It is not glue, though I do agree with you that at some point in it's life it has been exposed to something which caused the " blueing " effect in some of the areas of the coin. The patterns though, when looked at closely, are other images from the die hitting the coin in different areas other than were they were supposed to strike it. The bust area's on the back, and the profile image on the front, match the original markings which were supposed to be stamped into the coin during the stamping process. From actually handling the coin I am sure that the images are not from glue or nail polish, though I can see why you might think that. Good suggestions all the same. I am probably going to take it to a coin dealer at some point to get some answers. Thanks again for your comment, you are my first responder.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

A multiple struck coin does not look like this. It is actually a fire damaged coin and part of the holder it was in melted but some of it bonded to the coin and remains. I have seen this many times. I have actually seen globs of silver that were actually melted coins and other coins with melted and bonded plastic from the vinyl holders.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this!

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

looking closer...... hugeeyes
:agree: D
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep