Missing clad layer nickel

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
greg.allred
Coining Around

Missing clad layer nickel

#1 Unread post by greg.allred »

I've been collecting for years and really enjoy a true rare find... Was at seven eleven the other day where the employees know me as the coin guy, I was shown a nickel someone had spent. It's a 1986d nickel missing BOTH clad layers. Was wondering if anyone may know of a value for this?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Missing clad layer nickel

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome!
RMH22 wrote:Jefferson nickels are not layered like the copper-nickel clad coins (dimes, quarters, half dollars and Eisenhower and SBA dollars), so a missing clad layer is impossible (unless it was struck on a dime blank, and that does not seem to be so here). The most common way for coins to appear copper in color is improper annealing. All coins must be annealed to adjust the strength of the metal, but sometimes nickels and pennies are annealed in the same oven. This process will often cause copper molecules to be transferred off of the penny and onto the nickel, resulting in a blotchy nickel and sometimes even a complete coating. The other process is simply the copper and nickel separate. This tends to cause the copper to migrate to the surface of the nickel. Your coins, however, appear to be simply toned or dirty.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

this is a very good 'post question'/'accurate response' on the jeff nick "clad issue"....& is a VERY COMMON mistake....or i should say "SCAM" (you know who you are)

i see these being sold for "stupid crazy inflated prices" quite often....why? buyers just are "not well educated", & believe they can 'flip it' for a profit, sad...but true :h

the most popular example is the known 1959 "sintered black beauty"....which are fairly easy to make as a 'looky-loo fake', if you know how.
unfortunately, every time i make a post/response here,....the 'non-genuine quantity' of fakes/home made errors spikes upward on :ebay: ....
reason being, it can be sold to a novice or intermediate for several 1000% profit.......because, today, it's all about MAKING MONEY!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Jefferson Nickels are not clad so the planchets can't be made without a clad layer.

If I had to guess then I would say the coin is toned, maybe heat was applied or some chemical to give it this color.

Tsantiago1023
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Tsantiago1023 »

I'm new to this forum and joined for the sole purpose of adding my recent experience in finding what looks like a copper nickel (1993P). At first, I too thought it was missing the clad layer on both sides. But after searching for info on what it could be I came upon this forum. The fact that a nickel does not have a clad layer only lead to more questions on this particular coin. It is visually thinner than a normal nickel and weighs less, (4.6 grams as opposed to 5grams). The diameter seems to be equal to a normal nickel. I found it going through a $50 bag of nickels from the bank. It has nicks and scratches of everyday wear and appears to be copper under the surface as well. It does not look like nickels errors made from cent planchet and weighs more than a penny. The reply's from the original post of annealing make perfect sense to me. But what puzzles me in this case is the thinner width and lower weighing. Could this be explained away also during the minting process. I'm at a loss.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Can you post and image of the coin please, front and back and sides? Thanks

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

A photo would truly help, but, not mentioned in our original answers is the commonality of 'science' experiments. People simply like to mess with coins.

While 4.6g is light, it doesn't really fit as another planchet.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mike.sinsel
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by mike.sinsel »

I have a 1941 and a 1964 that look like they're copper but there nickels I was wondering if I showed you a picture could you answer them for me and tell me what the blazes they are.
Attachments
Yeah I was wondering what these are if they're copper nickels or what thank you for your input
Yeah I was wondering what these are if they're copper nickels or what thank you for your input

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

from this 1 pic,......

these hugeeyes like "environmental damage" to me ... JMO

P.S. next time, please post 'on a new thread'
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Nickels are not clad but a solid alloy and when they look reddish that environmental damage.

sniffitout
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by sniffitout »

This is a typical nickel that was dug out of the ground by a guy swinging a metal detector .This is what they look like coming out of the ground. The guy finding it was to lazy to clean it before spending it.