COMPUGRADE Sample and Production Slabs

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
rjp
Coinasieur

COMPUGRADE Sample and Production Slabs

#1 Unread post by rjp »

Thought I would get these on here for my next thread.
I picked these up a while ago and I really like how they are put together. stack and are compacted.
The slabs are very sturdy and seem to be well built and small, 1 7/8" wide by 2 5/8" high and 3/8" thick.
Not sure if the grading going to this level of grading could ever be popular but leave it to a computer to try and get it this accurate.

A CompuGrade Sample 1967 obv.jpg
A CompuGrade Sample 1967 obv.jpg (7.46 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
A CompuGrage Sample 1967 rev.jpg
A CompuGrage Sample 1967 rev.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
B CompuGrade 1883-O Morgan obv.jpg
B CompuGrade 1883-O Morgan obv.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
B CompuGrade 1883-O Morgan rev.jpg
B CompuGrade 1883-O Morgan rev.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
C CompuGrade 1901-O Morgan obv.jpg
C CompuGrade 1901-O Morgan obv.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
__
C CompuGrade 1901-O Morgan rev.jpg
C CompuGrade 1901-O Morgan rev.jpg (10.93 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
D CompUgrade 3 slabs top.jpg
D CompUgrade 3 slabs top.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
Bob
:cool:

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: COMPUGRADE Sample and Production Slabs

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I find it interesting to see how the labels change/improve over time. My mind starts to wander towards trying to "see" what may have prompted the change. More pleasing color, better graphics or font, holder dimensions, etc.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

A computer would grade a coin the same way 10 times out of 10, a human would not; and if the TPGS were smart they would already be developing this software. All they need to do is have their graders grade then let the computer scan, use a little AI, and eventually they will teach a computer to grade. So when someone sends in a cracked out coin then it could be recognized down to the molecular configuration of the top layer.

It will eventually happen, but not sure it will be a company like PCGS.

rjp
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by rjp »

Your right Daniel.
The computer could scan it, grade it, and a person would have to enter the 'Eye Appeal'
PCGS has been trying to get something like that done, don't know how far they went with the program. I think that is what the 'Secure Plus" program does.
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

PCGS claims actual grading by a computer can't be done, but I beg to differ. A computer can be taught anything, even eye appeal, which is a very tiny metric in grading anyway. A computer can learn what is pretty based on several redefined metrics. The things is, once a computer learns the variances for the MS67 grade then every single coin that matches will get the grade. Currently we don't have that consistency in human grading.

I don't think they want it. I think they bank on human error to help keep pops down and their values up. Although they do allow enough that some values have decreased, but some have increased as well, NGC had a fun time pointing out the rare drops in the last 10 years.

rjp
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by rjp »

My 1901-O MS-62.1, these are the only three slabs I have ever seen by them.
With this grade does this mean that a MS-62.2, 62.3 and so on for all the tenths could possibly exist? And from MS-60 to 70?
What do you think?
Thanks,
Bob

rjp
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by rjp »

Here is the link to my thread on this topic.

COMPUGRADE Thread

This is for the Patent that Compugrade had.

Patent

Machine assisted visual grading of rare collectibles over the Internet

Just amazing stuff these guys find!
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah it is

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

It will take a new company to attempt this computer grading or to additionally authenticate a grade (think CAC Secure) using machines or algorithms.
Because of the liability to existing companies reputations/business models and existing inventory the current companies will fight it tooth and nail.
(Existing TPG's might even resort to Twitter to mock them and call them "Really Bad Hombres" for sympathy)

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

It cost too much money to do. It would be worth it in the long run but the up front money is pricey. I have talked to several companies on this matter.