U.S. or CANADA? Blank or worn planchet?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
jesjon
Coinasieur

U.S. or CANADA? Blank or worn planchet?

#1 Unread post by jesjon »

I found this coin a few days ago and finally got around to dusting off the environmental buildup after who knows how many years underground. I was surprised to find a smooth planchet, almost... I'm not sure what it is and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction, here are the facts:
Weight: 4.49g. - Diameter: 22mm+- - Non-Magnetic - Bronze
Yes i believe it's a canada nickel planchet, either circa ww2 or 1980's but that's only because it's the first place i looked and it's close...
I'm hoping it's actually a super rare priceless civil war token that doesn't show a denomination because, well, it's priceless?
Attachments
20171007_001215.jpg
20171007_001202.jpg
20171007_001249.jpg
20171007_001257.jpg
20171007_001229.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: U.S. or CANADA? Blank or worn planchet?

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Apparently, I can't read... you provided the other info I needed.
To be a civil war token blank known as F-519 or F-1427: 1. There are none known to be "blank" on both sides. 2. And, in this case, the dentils are too large.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

jesjon
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by jesjon »

I had a feeling the civil war token was a stretch so I'll keep researching with the data i have on the coin, those dentils sure resemble a canadian 5c coin, not to mention the size and weight, although this one is non-magnetic

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

So I looked a bit deeper into the Civil War tokens...
The blank F-536 is a contender. It is only known to have been matched with the F-535 and bears a wreath on the "blank" side. And, it was copper. But, look at the denticles.
Attachments
F-536-Token-Die.jpg
F-536-Token-Die.jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

What area of the country was it found? (Metal detecting, correct?)

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Weight is going to go a long way in determining what coin this was supposed to be.

jesjon
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by jesjon »

It was found in lower michigan, Cass County to be exact, just a few miles north of the Indiana border. Daniel, the coin weighs 4.49grams and I will attach some close up pics of the denticles, not sure if their shape will be of any help or not, thanks guys, i love a mystery!
Attachments
blnk dentcls (1).JPG
blnk dentcls (2).JPG
blnk dentcls (3).JPG

jesjon
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by jesjon »

Thanks mhonzell, the denticles are definitely different and i went to the civil war token archives just to browse hoping i would find something similar and although i haven't found any leads on this particular token/coin, i did find the die for another token i have (die f-283), so thank you for inadvertently pointing me in the right direction, now i know where to look to try to identify quite a few suspected civil war tokens, once i figure out how to read the tables...