199? LMC

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Tooboocoo
Coining Around

199? LMC

#1 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

Can anyone help explain how and where this might have happened and is it possibly a 1992 clam
Attachments
IMG_20170809_140215.jpg
IMG_20170809_140143.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 199? LMC

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It is definitely post mint damage caused by mechanical means. A clam shell is caused form impurities and it causes a thin layer of metal to separate from the rest of the coin.

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

I meant close am sorry for the confusion thanks

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

Why do I see letters printed all over that dont belong there, like right below the date running right through the mintmark on top of what I thought might have been a defective planchet or possibly a shatters die which I think say liberty thanks

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 pm It is definitely post mint damage caused by mechanical means. A clam shell is caused form impurities and it causes a thin layer of metal to separate from the rest of the coin.
:agree: , no 'CLAM' here,
....this is "PMD"........

i hugeeyes a "SKID" penny
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Tooboocoo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 pm Why do I see letters printed all over that dont belong there, like right below the date running right through the mintmark on top of what I thought might have been a defective planchet or possibly a shatters die which I think say liberty thanks
From Merriam Websters
Pareidolia is a type of apophenia, which is a more generalized term for seeing patterns in random data. Some common examples are seeing a likeness of Jesus in the clouds or an image of a man on the surface of the moon.

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

PetesPockets55 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 pm
Tooboocoo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 pm Why do I see letters printed all over that dont belong there, like right below the date running right through the mintmark on top of what I thought might have been a defective planchet or possibly a shatters die which I think say liberty thanks
From Merriam Websters
Pareidolia is a type of apophenia, which is a more generalized term for seeing patterns in random data. Some common examples are seeing a likeness of Jesus in the clouds or an image of a man on the surface of the moon.
:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

Ok everyone ID like you all to look closer,if you blow up the image of the obverse and look to the right and just above the date ,on the rim ,can somebody explain to me why it looks more like a die blew apart more than it dose"a skid coin" I've seen many of ran over coins ,another thing I'd like you to look at is the back of Lincoln's head ,if you ask me the back of his head appears to be all the way to the edge repeating it self and there appears to be other writing on top of the damaged portion I'm not seeing a pareidolia or anything and if this were a skid coin why is the other half of the obverse OK and there's no obvious evidence of this coin being exposed to traffic for any period of time and if it was a skid coin someone got really lucky,talk about stopping on a dime ,ran it over once managed to rip or shatter the planchet on only half the coin and then get out and collect it and call it a day there has to be someone out there willing to open their minds of the possibilities of there being UN found mint errors and oddities I think you're looking at one with no explanation thanks again tooboocoo

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

It is impossible this happened at the mint, all the damaged happened after the coin is struck. When you learn the minting process and study mint errors for all the years I have you will realize what is possible and what is not. A shattered die looks nothing like this and a shattered die can not produce what you're seeing.

The coin is a perfect examples of a post mint damaged cent.

Any missing part of the die is filled in with planchet metal and is raised; not dug into the surface. A damaged planchet shows certain patterns consistent with the tools and equipment used at the mint and can't be damaged by anything else. Furthermore such damage will show evidence that it was struck by the design.

You must understand that coins are going in and leaving the die chamber in split seconds and when one gets stuck then more come in and get struck together. It's not like one coin sits there getting hammered and smashed over and over again.

You have to open your mind to the actual minting process and look past your coins.
Attachments
ShatteredDieDime.jpg
Defective_Planchet_ms65_oct31_2010_$126.50.jpg
Defective_Planchet_ms65_oct31_2010_$126.50.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Defective-planchet1.jpg