Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

I have always stated that PCGS is inconsistent and more about the money than actually being the standard. What I didn't know was how bad it had become since the last time I checked into this. My first clue was when Coin World had a piece on the 1997 Lincoln Cent in MS67 that sold for a thousand less than it used to be worth. Reason? Because PCGS graded more since the last time I checked and this date isn't the only example. I assume it could be resubmits of the same grade trying to get a higher grade, but who knows.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/57 ... kifQ%3D%3D

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

WOW! At first I thought maybe this article was a "sour grapes" sort of thing since the author was a finalizer for grading at NGC (which he did disclose). But looking at his graphs in this article makes it seem like something happened 2014-2015 to affect the grading of the coins referenced. But it is troubling to think that certain customers may have been given preferential treatment in relation to coin grades! It will be interesting to see how PCGS responds to this article!

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 »

There has to be truth in what they say. Those coins could not all be resubmitted. Who would resubmit a coin already tied for finest. The only answer is preferential grading for volume customers. This stinks!!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

is everyone starting to understand "MARKETING"

my philosophy for "coin encapsulation":
1. AUTHENTICITY
2. PRESERVATION
3. 'PROOF' DESIGNATION
4. 'VARIETY' ATTRIBUTION (if they recognize that one)
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I know some are resubmissions but that doesn't account for all of this, or does it? I know first hand that certain dealers submit coins over and over again and spend thousands of dollars a month at PCGS. I think population reports are bogus and help create the "value" coins. The two top grading services are publicly traded and must please investors with higher profits, and have their own network of dealers and their own values on coins. I think some of that could be considered a conflict of interest.

These companies pretty much created the market that they own and you can make some good money submitting coins to them, but you can loose a lot of money as well.