Grading Indian Head Cents

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tab1962
Coin Collector

Grading Indian Head Cents

#1 Unread post by tab1962 »

Hello everyone,

I am new on this site and truly like the way the coins are graded with large photo examples!

I've started collecting Indian Head Cents and just learn that the color plays a huge rule in pricing the cents. Such as Red, Red/brown and brown. Does color play a role in the lower grades or only on MS-60 and higher?

Thank you and I look forward to learning more.

Tom

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grading Indian Head Cents

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Red is for MS or mint state grades since you don't get red, very often, with grades less than MS. Although there's some "sliders" that some might grade AU58 but others might grade MS60 that can look red. So there's potential of a choice AU58 that could be Red.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes
Attachments
1862 IC BOOK 002.jpg
Indian MS Grade.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It appears the top grading services don't label coins less than MS60 as Red, thought I saw this before. Anyway here's what I was referring to [web 100%,400]http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx ... t=au58+red[/web]

tab1962
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by tab1962 »

what surprised me it the difference in price say an 1890 MS-63 that is Red and one that is brown. A few hundred dollars difference in price. I was using teh Redbook 2015 guide and it doesn't take into consideration the color at all.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

It is all about desirability (eye appeal), scarcity and what is available on the market.
As beef goes, I am willing to pay more for a juicy red steak (before cooking) than a red brown or brown (yuk) one! widegrin
(Apologies to any vegetarians out there if the steak analogy doesn't work for you.)
whistling2:

tab1962
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by tab1962 »

good comparison! The coins I am buying are not officially certified by PCGS or any other service- the dealer has grade them himself. He has been in the business over 40 years and good reviews. Is this okay for MS-63/64 coins or should I only get certified?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

It depends on what he's charging, if a dealer claims a raw coin is MS63 then I try to buy for AU58 or MS60 value just in case PCGS disagrees with us. Certain dates you can't do this but common dates you can.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

One of the best things to do is become confident with grading that type of coin yourself. You can let the dealer "shine" by explaining to you why he feels it deserves that grade and then make a counter offer if you do not agree with him (it is hard not to be intimidated by someone with a lot more experience tho).
I hope you can find a dealer that you feel comfortable with (over time). Reviews can work well. Also, stuff happens and you can tell a lot about a person (buyers and sellers) by how they handle themselves if things don't go perfectly. Best of luck in your coin searches.

tab1962
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by tab1962 »

could I post the 1890 in question? I have a very good close up photo of it?

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

:eureka:
BUY THE BOOK, BEFORE YOU BUY THE COIN...
BUY THE COIN, NOT THE SLAB...
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOUR BUYING !
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep