1908 FUNF Mark Aniversary coin

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
zakota
Coin Wizz

1908 FUNF Mark Aniversary coin

#1 Unread post by zakota »

Face value: 5 marks
Year: 1908
Material: Silver
The description: the Anniversary coin, devoted to the 350 anniversary from the date of the basis of University in Yen.
Obverse: the Portrait Saxon Magnanimous (1503 – 1554) ѕ to the right. An inscription a semicircle: STIFTER D UNIV JENA – JOH – FRIED D GROSZMUT KURF V SACHSEN. To the right of a portrait of date of the basis of university in two lines: 1558 – 1908. On both parties from a portrait an inscription in Latin: SPES MEA – IN DEO (my BELIEF – In the God).
Reverser: the Arms of the country with a so-called greater eagle: above an eagle the German imperial crown with two fluttering ends of a tape; on a breast of an eagle a board with the arms of Prussia, around of a board – a Prussian award of the Black Eagle with a circuit. A circular inscription: DEUTSCHES REICH 1908 FUNF MARK.
Silver 900 (Ag 900, Cu 100). Diameter – 38 mm. Weight – 27.778, thickness – 2.8 mm. A herd smooth, an inscription: GOTT MIT UNS (With us the God). Circulation: 40 000 (чекан Berlin).
The given type of a coin addressed in territory of Ukraine from the end of April up to the middle of November, 1918.

You think this is worth what? It looks in XF condition to me. You like this one.
Attachments
1908r.jpg
1908.jpg
From beginning to end,
life is life, no matter how you look at it.

regandon
Coin Expert

Re: 1908 FUNF Mark Aniversary coin

#2 Unread post by regandon »

That is a coin all German commem collectors want and need in their collection. The rim is nicked up a lot. Also the coin looks to have been cleaned at one time. It's hard at times to find early dated coins from Europe that have not been cleaned. That is why there is a good premium price to pay when a high grade piece is found for sale.
Cleaning coins is common in Europe, as they have no org. to help educate the collectors, like we have in the US. We have the ANA, and without them educating the US collector, there were not be many rare coins in mint state.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

zakota
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by zakota »

You have any idea which book this coin is in? I can not find it anywhere. I like this coin. It looks so midevel.
From beginning to end,

regandon
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by regandon »

zakota wrote:You have any idea which book this coin is in? I can not find it anywhere. I like this coin. It looks so midevel.
It is in the Krause 1900 - 2001 book. I have the new 2010 book and CD comeing. Should be here by tues. afternoon. I have all the Krause book's but this one. If I update my Krause books on 17th, 18th and 19th century coins, I'll let you know. The new books include a CD which has the complete book on it in pdf format. I like being able to have a book and a CD.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

zakota
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by zakota »

I must have over looked it last time. I have found it. It is in Yeoman's Red book of Modern world coins 1850-1964 also. This is a little pricie coin. What you think that coin is worth. I did notice the clear patch on the reverse. It looks may be if it were laying on a stand or something. You do think this had been cleaned at one time?
From beginning to end,

regandon
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by regandon »

It's always so hard to tell by a pic. I could be wrong on my statement about it being cleaned. The rim nicks will bring the price down on the coin. I'd hate to say what I would think on price, but I do not think $50 would be to bad. I could be way off though. It could be worth more or less.
ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NOMINI GLORIAM

zakota
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by zakota »

I am trying to learn from you. There are so many of these old coins on the Russian sites. So I am trying to learn what I can from your knowledge. I do not know what they had this coin for.
From beginning to end,