New collector question about Morgan CC

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
gkulm
Coining Around

New collector question about Morgan CC

#1 Unread post by gkulm »

Hi, I just started collecting and mainly have bought from Ebay and TV. I like Morgan dollars and am trying to find good ones at a reasonable price. I try to find higher grade or UNC that I could have graded and increase their value.

I recently bought a 1882-CC in its original Carson City box, etc. Would it be better to leave it this way, or to have it graded (I am a member of PCGS) to preserve it and possibly improve its value?

Thanks for your advice.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New collector question about Morgan CC

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Are you referring to GSA Morgan Dollar in a black case? If so it was placed in that case in the early 70's and isn't an original package from the Carson City Mint FYI.

Usually these coins are better left in the holder as far as value is concerned. The 1882-CC is one of the most common dates found in the GSA holders, if that's what you have. I think PCGS does, but I know NGC grades the coins while they're left in these holders, but it's usually not worth the fees.

Most of these can be bought for $200 or less since most look MS60-MS63 and if you bought it for around $200 then put another $35 in it and it doesn't grade MS64 or better then you're actually not adding value. Just a thought.

It took me years of experience and study to learn how to grade coins from images and I still have an error rate of around 80%. PCGS just doesn't always agree with me. So plan on losing money until you get the hang of grading, if you're new as you stated. I don't mean to insult you but it's a hard business and everyone is looking for the "graders" now, thanks to the internet.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and would love to see your Morgans. I can help a bit with grading if the images are large and clear.

gkulm
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by gkulm »

Yes I was talking about GSA case.

Thanks for the information - it is about what I thought, but very helpful. I will check if PCGS grades them in the holder. I am learning that if you add grading fees, there isn't much left between cost and current value. But I was thinking that in the long run, a graded coin would increase in value more than a similar ungraded coin.

I do plan to keep these for a long time, possibly upgrading some as I go along. I am retired and see this collection as an investment but also something to pass along. Right now, I'm having a lot of fun searching for coins and learning their value, history, etc. I grew up in Idaho where Morgan and Peace silver dollars were very common; I had them in my pocket much more often than paper; sure wish I had saved some of those.

Thanks again for the prompt and welcoming response.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

You're welcome and glad to hear about your collecting and that you're having fun searching, searching for coins is the fun part.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

Several years ago I bought 4 1882 CC Morgans at a good discount. They were advertised as clean mint state. I sent them to NGC and got 3 ms62 and 1ms63. I was disappointed at first, but now I realize that they were all borderline 62-63 coins. They were worth the investment in the long run! Dan

gkulm
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by gkulm »

Thanks for the input, Dan. Well, I don't think I bought at much of a discount but think it will be a good investment in the long run. They aren't making them anymore for sure! :-) Still deciding whether to go ahead and get it graded. Best, Gerald

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by dipper13 »

There are guys here who are excellent graders. why don't you post pix, They will give you an unbiased opinion??

gkulm
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by gkulm »

OK, I would appreciate any opinions on the grade of this 1882-CC Morgan. The seller did not include images. Please excuse my attempt at scanning; hope you can see it well enough to get an idea. Gerald
Attachments
Better picture
Better picture
Better picture
Better picture
Last edited by gkulm on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

The images are blurry and I couldn't be certain on a grade here. However, based on what I can see, it could grade MS63. If a clearer image doesn't reveal any deep contact marks or copious amount of chatter then I might change my opinion. It looks like a nice coin.

Christian651
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Christian651 »

I would grade MS62 based on the photos

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by dipper13 »

The chatter around her face makes me believe ms 62. I will post a pic of one of mine to show you.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by dipper13 »

Here is an 1884 cc that graded ms 62. Notice the chatter on the face, light, but there. I thought this one was a 63?? The fields are really clean.
Attachments
DSCF0556.JPG
DSCF0560.JPG

gkulm
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by gkulm »

Thanks guys. Wow, the scratches on the two coins look almost identical. I agree that mine is probably a MS62. Thanks again everyone for your help. Gerald

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

You changed the images on me!

I would grade this coin MS60 and with the cheek and the fields with all the chatter I doubt it would get MS62, but I've been wrong before.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#16 Unread post by dipper13 »

Yes, the new images make me believe it is ms60-61.Sorry but the cheek looks too busy

papawin99
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by papawin99 »

I have an 1882-CC Morgan dollar in a GSA holder. Would it be worth more if I sent it in to be graded?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

It depends on the grade. If it get's MS64 or better then it could sell fore more than a non-graded GSA 1882-CC.

gkulm
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by gkulm »

Daniel wrote:It depends on the grade. If it get's MS64 or better then it could sell fore more than a non-graded GSA 1882-CC.
Thanks