2006 North Dakota State Quarter Variety or Error?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Cartelumundo
Coining Around

2006 North Dakota State Quarter Variety or Error?

#1 Unread post by Cartelumundo »

:confused: I found this 2006 North Dakota State Quarter in some pocket change a while back and have not been able to find exactly what the obverse was stamped with along with the original markings. The reverse is exactly as it should be, no markings as to a die clash or such. Any help would greatly be appreciated in narrowing down the error or variety and such. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
2006 North Dakota Obverse.jpg
2006 North Dakota Reverse.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2006 North Dakota State Quarter Variety or Error?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and interesting coin you posted. I am going to say it looks like it was struck through either a capped die or a reverse clad layer. It's a keeper and might be worth sending to ANACS or grading service of choice.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

That is a very cool coin. Looks like a struck through to me as well. Congrats on the find.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I would go with a die clash IF the reverse also had signs of clashing. It's so dramtic on the obverse that there would have been clash marks on the reverse as well since a clash is two dies striking each other. Now if a die get's capped the reverse would be facing down, and would impart the reverse onto the obverse when it struck the next planchet and that's why I think it was struck through a capped die or clad layer.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by pahwa »

Yeah I was waffling between the two as well. But a die clash that deep into the raised face makes me think more like it is a stuck through. I tried to do an overlay but it is hard to work with silver coins to get a good pic. Here is a side by side comparison and nothing lines up to show a clash. The devices don't look right even if it is rotated. It is an amazing coin for sure.
Attachments
sd side by side quater - Page 001.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I have the overlays here and you're correct, it doesn't line up. The strike through must have been rotated. It's a great find if authenticated as such.
[web 100%,400]http://coinauctionshelp.com/overlay_home.html[/web]

I don't have an overlay for the State Quarters but might be a good idea.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pahwa »

I still think this is some sort of struck through with the damage on the face. Lam chunks or something like that.

Overlays of the state quarters would be nice. But that would be a lot of overlays. lol
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

jyl.nichole
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by jyl.nichole »

Can anyone help me I know this is a error coin and it has some value im jus not sure how much or if it matters that its not graded and its been circulated as well
Attachments
20171211_153022_Film4.jpg

jyl.nichole
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by jyl.nichole »

This is front n back
Attachments
20171211_152229_Film4.jpg
Message_1513027478943.jpg

robert.lanza
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by robert.lanza »

In one of many searches I found A 2006p North Dakota state quarter with no image of the buffalo, it has some shape but no image at all

robert.lanza
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by robert.lanza »

watch for die cast markings on the rear leg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#12 Unread post by Paul »

robert.lanza wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm In one of many searches I found A 2006p North Dakota state quarter with no image of the buffalo, it has some shape but no image at all

:welcome:

hugeeyes Any Images?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

robert.lanza
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by robert.lanza »

Sorry wrong information. the diecast on the rear leg is on 2005p nickel kind of looks like a grove