1983 p Quarter

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
clyde
Coin Wizz

1983 p Quarter

#1 Unread post by clyde »

Found this one this morning. Almost spent it on a cuppa. Need idea of its grade. Poor condition at the worst but may be a little better. Any ideas? :w
Attachments
1983 p.jpg
1983 p rev.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1983 p Quarter

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It appears EF/AU to me.

fwd
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by fwd »

...hey clyde, too bad that wasn't a 1963 quarter. then you could've bought one of those fancy latte's! widegrin

clyde
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by clyde »

fwd wrote:...hey clyde, too bad that wasn't a 1963 quarter. then you could've bought one of those fancy latte's! widegrin

Yea, might have been good at that. It seems that the 83 p is a bit hard to come by. Wish that this one was at least a ms something. Book has the ms 63 at about $21. Now that would buy several of the fancy latte's :w

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by Maineman750 »

That seems a bit strange as the mintage on these is very high, I wonder if the quality is hard to find rather than the date.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

No mint sets were released in 83', so to find the highest grade examples, collectors had to look through original rolls and bags. So not many bags and rolls were hoarded and most of them appeared to have entered circulation. It's similar to the 1884-S, and similar date Morgan Dollars, high mintage but most are circulated.

This is according to NGC's newsletter from 2006.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Thanks Daniel, so my theory was right widegrin
Roger

clyde
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by clyde »

And that is why I wish it was an MS.....Never know what you might find these days. The below information is from CoinTrackers.

Type: Washington Quarter
Year: 1983
Mint Mark: P
Face Value: 0.25 USD
Total Produced: 673,535,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: $22 to $56
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $22, while one in "great" shape can bring $56. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and great meaning it looks "great" relative to other coins of the same age.

Me thinks it is worth hanging on to. :w

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

clyde, just the MS ones are valuable,there are plenty of circulated ones out there,they will never be worth more than an 84,85,etc...in circulated condition.
The values on your chart are for uncirculated and even then are probably on the high side.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

clyde wrote:And that is why I wish it was an MS.....Never know what you might find these days. The below information is from CoinTrackers.

Type: Washington Quarter
Year: 1983
Mint Mark: P
Face Value: 0.25 USD
Total Produced: 673,535,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: $22 to $56
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $22, while one in "great" shape can bring $56. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and great meaning it looks "great" relative to other coins of the same age.

Me thinks it is worth hanging on to. :w
I am not saying not to hang on to the coin, but no way this coin is worth $22 in poor condition.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Agree with Daniel, you always have to make your own decisions. But it anybody wants any 83 quarters, I will send them at face value + shipping. I have a few vending machines and quarters are my most popular coin. I do sell the Bicentennials for 30 cents to a guy that buys all I can get.
Roger

attrox52
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by attrox52 »

I got all these out of bank rolls. The one in the middle has a double die rim at the bottom
Attachments
1371173542426.jpg

attrox52
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by attrox52 »

These are 82 and 83p
Attachments
1371173688060.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

attrox52 wrote:I got all these out of bank rolls. The one in the middle has a double die rim at the bottom
That's slightly struck in collar and is common and not a doubled die.