Question about Filled Mint Marks

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Coins573
Coin Collector

Question about Filled Mint Marks

#1 Unread post by Coins573 »

I've been sorting through my change bucket looking for DDO's DDR and such and I'm finding rather many of what seem to be filled mint marks and maybe double mint marks.. My question is can a mint mark appear to be filled/slightly doubled due to wear from being in circulation?? I've been trying to get pictures but unfortunatly I don't have proper equipment to get pics with enough detail to view these errors. Any tips and refernce links with pics would be helpful. Thanks in advance :)

---Adding some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like. They seem really big in the preview. I hope this helps to see. Make note of the mint marks on these pennies and tell me what you think this is.

1977 D Penny
ImageImageImageImage
1978 Penny
ImageImageImageImage
1974 Penny
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Coins573 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on [url=http://www.twitter.com/CoinCollectorDS]Twitter[/url] and learn how to get free coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about Filled Mint Marks

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Could you be more specific? What date and mint and denomination are you talking about?

Coins573
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Coins573 »

Sure thing so far these are the coins in question (All are US coins):
1977 Quarter D
1977 Penny D
1978 Penny D
1979 SBA D
1983 Dime P
1984 Quarter P

I'll post more when I find them. Thanks
Follow me on [url=http://www.twitter.com/CoinCollectorDS]Twitter[/url] and learn how to get free coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Coins573 wrote:Sure thing so far these are the coins in question (All are US coins):
1977 Quarter D
1977 Penny D
1978 Penny D
1979 SBA D
1983 Dime P
1984 Quarter P

I'll post more when I find them. Thanks
Before the 80's working dies were sent to the branch mints from the Philadelphia Mint and the branch mint hand-punched their mint mark onto the die. When the punch didn't punch the mint mark correctly it was punched again, thus creating RPM's.

During the 80's and 90's the mint mark was included as part of the working die's design for each series, so any mint mark that appears doubled now is called a doubled die, because die punches are no longer used.

I am not aware of any instance that wear would produce the same apearance as an RPM or doubling. It could be a "closed" or clogged mint mark that has machine doubling.

Wear can create many appearances but not RPM's or doubling.

Coins573
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Coins573 »

Great thanks for the advice! Seems that all of these are RPM and Filled or Closed.. I'll do the research to learn the diffenences in apperence! And maybe soon i'll be able to get some pictures up here for everyone to judge.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

The 1970's is the decade of filled mint marks. I am not sure why but it's prevalent in this decade. I have often wondered how to discern an RPM from a filled mint mark for 70's coins.

It also heralded the decline of RPM's in general.

Coins573
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by Coins573 »

Updated the first post with pictures Bump

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

What camera do you own? You just need to find out how to set it to macro mode and brace the camera against something to keep it steady.