It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Please click one of our ebay ads and buy something, it produces revenue to keep this site running. Thanks!

Please click one of our ebay ads and buy something, it produces revenue to keep this site running. Thanks!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

See Whats New

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Coinasieur

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Don't know what is going on with this thing. The reverse is MS. The obverse has MS features located through out like behind the head but has a rash in the fields and lettering has globs through out. Mint mark P is strong but sitting it a type of depression circle around the P.
I know the early 80's quality was bad but don't really know what to make of this.
Globs of grease filled die? Hub explosion? Severe die cracking?

Attachments:
1983P25R001.jpg
1983P25R001.jpg [ 424.52 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]
1983P25O001.jpg
1983P25O001.jpg [ 445.87 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:47 am 
Administrator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
I have seen this before, but never investigated the cause. It almost looks like die trails, but it's not, at least I don't think so. Interesting enough, this is a dramatic example.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:02 pm 
Coinasieur

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
A friend of mine asked today if it was maybe a case of some idiot's whizzing gone horribly wrong but the markings don't match to any whizzing I have ever seen and believe me, on Ebay, there are some doozies.
Question...doesn't whizzing give a uniform look across the face of the coin? There shouldn't be globs of material on top of the letters and such.
:dunno

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Seen this fairly often mainly on nickel clad coins although not usually this severe ... thought it was metal flow. Actually at first I also though they were some kind of trails or something because I'd notice the lines coming off the letters and numbers but Trails are different so I've been putting these aside as "Heavy Metal Flow". Some of them are really cool with some crazy looking designs, lines and swirls. If it's not Metal flow let me know so I can relabel correctly.