It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

See Whats New

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 pm 
Coin Expert

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
I found this today while doing a quick search of a box of dimes. I know that 99% of the time this is just a dirty dime, but how do you tell for sure? I weighed it on an accurate scale and it weighed the same as a normal dime. Is that all it takes to rule out if it's a mint error coin? I attached a picture in case it helps.

Attachments:
DSCF0897.JPG
DSCF0897.JPG [ 224.16 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm 
Administrator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
It appears to be toning, but it's not very attractive. I'm not sure what a missing clad layer would weigh compared to a normal dime, but I doubt it would be different.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:24 pm 
Coin Expert

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
not really a mint error then? What would I want to look for if it was missing a clad layer?

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm 
Administrator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
It's difficult to tell from a picture, but the missing clad layer coins are much darker and clear. However, this coin is circulated, and it might appear different because of that. When you post a coin pic for our opinion, what we say is not written in stone, I could be wrong. The only way to know for sure is to send it to an expert that authenticates mint errors like Ken Potter or CONCECA.

Believe me, I'm not trying to discourage you, and want you to keep looking and posting. I know, if you haven't already, you will find something good. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:18 pm 
Coin Expert

This is definitely discoloration. A missing clad layer will usually have a weaker strike and will weigh quite a bit less, especially if both sides are missing. I can't tell you an exact weight, but if your scale is accurate, you'll know if you find one. What I usually say is "you might think you've found a missing clad layer sometimes, but when you actually do you'll know."