Coin Collecting Databases

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Kris W
Coinasieur

Coin Collecting Databases

#1 Unread post by Kris W »

At the beginning of the year, I found this freeware program. It seems to be pretty good once you learn all its eccentricities.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-numismat/

Anyone else use it? Can you compare it to the commercial databases out there?
" Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"....Abraham Lincoln, State of the Union Address, December 3, 1861

RVA
Coining Around

Re: Coin Collecting Databases

#2 Unread post by RVA »

FYI: I went to the link you provided, but It looks like it has not been modified since 2014, so it may not be that current. I did not see any reviews, so I could not tell you much about it. I would also caution when downloading open source software you do not know if someone with ill intent has inserted any malicious code within the software package that you are downloading, so make sure you run the software through a virus scan just as a precaution. I am glad you found something that works for you. Happy Collecting!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Good advice RVA. I have a program that is coming out soon. Official release will be announced on my Youtube channel in the next few weeks.

Kris W
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Kris W »

Daniel wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:18 am Good advice RVA. I have a program that is coming out soon. Official release will be announced on my Youtube channel in the next few weeks.
Oh wow.

What sort of features does it have?
And how much will it cost?
" Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"....Abraham Lincoln, State of the Union Address, December 3, 1861

Kris W
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Kris W »

And if you're worried about scams...check out this page...

https://www.coindatabase.com

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

I have been using Excel for a database to keep track
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-03 11.01.12.png
Thank you,
Patrick

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#7 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I'm old. I use a notebook until my wife can do a spreadsheet for can not type . lol
There is a software you can buy online I but don't think Daniel will want me posting it . Email me if interested. I might buy it myself.I had one similar and it was easy and fun acually .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Kris W
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Kris W »

wilkinsp21 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:02 am I have been using Excel for a database to keep track
I started out making one like that years ago, but they get too unwieldly and are too hard to update.

Plus you cant add photos to it

Kris W
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Kris W »

RVA wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:05 am I would also caution when downloading open source software you do not know if someone with ill intent has inserted any malicious code within the software package that you are downloading, so make sure you run the software through a virus scan just as a precaution. I am glad you found something that works for you. Happy Collecting!
oh please.. it isnt like black hats cant hack into anything nowadays.
And Bill Barr's boys are probably aiding abetting them😒😒

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

Kris W wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:37 am
wilkinsp21 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:02 am I have been using Excel for a database to keep track
I started out making one like that years ago, but they get too unwieldly and are too hard to update.

Plus you cant add photos to it
yeah I can see that; Right now I do not want an online only database, just something local on system, and since my collection isn't that big it works, later on I might have to change to something else
1. issue is with the database is online, what happens when they stop the service? you no longer have your database
2. if internet goes out then can't access database
Thank you,
Patrick

Kris W
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Kris W »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 am I'm old.
I kinda figured that....even though your profile claims you're three years younger than me...
IMG_20171113_102757.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#12 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

What's the cloud ? Coins Coins stay on topic. FYI I downloaded a trial of a program for cataloging coins , I'll let you all know how it work out .
Member of CONECA

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Kris W wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:52 am
Daniel wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:18 am Good advice RVA. I have a program that is coming out soon. Official release will be announced on my Youtube channel in the next few weeks.
Oh wow.

What sort of features does it have?
And how much will it cost?
In due time and it's not going to be much longer either. Here's a sneak peak before I announce the official launch https://mintstate.com/Website/Home.aspx

It has a grading feature that will be coming soon that uses AI to grade coins, but funding is the issue. I am not rich and this stuff takes money.

DanB
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by DanB »

Very nice! I was going to build a database, but this program appears to solve that issue for me. Very interested!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

It's advanced for certain and the grading app will follow in the future. More features will as well. We're not charging for the coin collector feature but you must have an account. However, we're not selling your information, all is confidential.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#16 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Daniel, I'm interested in this New program you have coming out .I saw the Website and was quite impressed ! Keep me updated, Thanks
Member of CONECA

zeffzef
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by zeffzef »

thanks for sharing. Many people like hunting coins with electronic sensors.That won't be ina very good shape. but it's fun to do.

Kris W
Coinasieur

#18 Unread post by Kris W »

Daniel wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:59 pm It's advanced for certain and the grading app will follow in the future. More features will as well. We're not charging for the coin collector feature but you must have an account. However, we're not selling your information, all is confidential.
So...not only will it catalog all your coins, it will have AI that grades them??!!!!😳😳😳😳

WOW!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Daniel »

In the future. We beta tested for a year and it will grade Morgans so far. We just need more funding. So we released this version to help gain revenue.

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#20 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

Daniel wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 pm In the future. We beta tested for a year and it will grade Morgans so far. We just need more funding. So we released this version to help gain revenue.
Do you have a place where you can take donations?
Thank you,
Patrick

Kris W
Coinasieur

#21 Unread post by Kris W »

Well...I see the data base isn't up yet, but that coin identifier program looks pretty neat.

I did get it to identify the Merc I posted today, but not my 1890CC.
And it said my avatar pic didn't meet its 'minimum resolution ' requirements, so I think you still have a few bugs in the system😏😏😎😎

Kris W
Coinasieur

#22 Unread post by Kris W »

I'll take pics of my 20th Century Type, run them through the thingymigigge, and send you my results and comments, Daniel.

Hopefully it won't become sentient and attack the Staships Hood, Potemkin, Exeter, and....Lexington? What was Richard Daystrom thinking??!!😵😵😵

😏😎

Kris W
Coinasieur

#23 Unread post by Kris W »

I just had to make a meme...
Screenshot_2020-10-05-23-37-37_kindlephoto-351089053.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Unread post by Daniel »

Kris W wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:47 pm Well...I see the data base isn't up yet, but that coin identifier program looks pretty neat.

I did get it to identify the Merc I posted today, but not my 1890CC.
And it said my avatar pic didn't meet its 'minimum resolution ' requirements, so I think you still have a few bugs in the system😏😏😎😎
If your images are anything like the ones you post in this forum then you're going to have problems. It's not bugs in the program. I have trouble seeing the details of most coins you post so a program is going to have even more trouble. You need a better camera and not hold it with your hands.

Kris W
Coinasieur

#25 Unread post by Kris W »

Daniel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:12 am . You need a better camera and not hold it with your hands.
I'm using a Canon EoS T7i on a tripod

Kris W
Coinasieur

#26 Unread post by Kris W »

Well, I put 25 different coins through the Mint State CIA and sent the results to them and Daniel. It only correctly identified three of them, and misidentified several.
mccoy002_kindlephoto-390572874.jpg
IMHO, the pics I provided are of better quality than those of a numismatic neophyte with a cell phone.
And that seems to be who the app is marketed toward.

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#27 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

That is the funniest coin meme I have seen, thanks!!
Thank you,
Patrick

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by Daniel »

Kris W wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 pm Well, I put 25 different coins through the Mint State CIA and sent the results to them and Daniel. It only correctly identified three of them, and misidentified several.
mccoy002_kindlephoto-390572874.jpg

IMHO, the pics I provided are of better quality than those of a numismatic neophyte with a cell phone.
And that seems to be who the app is marketed toward.
You did it wrong as specified in my email. You're images are out of focus and you used the browser button to go back which resulted in the misidentified coins.

I've uploaded hundreds of images of coins and no issues and all coins were identified properly. 12 months of work is in this program and it's a great program.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by Earle42 »

Fantastic! The first major step in making the professional grading systems have to become accountable with repeatable results.
The AI grading will be a major 21st century improvement on the 20th century scientific tech that was abandoned in favor of making grading an "art."

Methinks the Beanie Babies affect might visit aspects of the hobby in the future when assigned grades/labels will be forced to be held accountable to a verifiable standard.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Unread post by Daniel »

Fell free to try the program out yourself. We have a tutorial and you do need images that are in focus, just like you do on this forum when you need help with a coin. I will be creating video tutorials soon.