The DISGUSTING side of the Coin buying Business

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

The DISGUSTING side of the Coin buying Business

#1 Unread post by 2centsal »

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The DISGUSTING side of the Coin buying Business

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Hum, interesting and controversial article, thanks for posting. I would offer my opinion, but I would write a book and still not be satisfied with how it sounded. So many things going through my head on this one... :dunno

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 »

Not surprising. Silvertowne is the place that brought and still brings that TV huckster Robert Chambers, one of the best examples of what coin collecting is not about. It is a veritable whos who of the worst that collecting offers,opportunists who pray on most folks ignorance of this hobby and their slick marketing.
"Now let us corner the market and set the price."

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by 2centsal »

Why would someone wait in line all that time to just sell their 1 in 1000 Coin for a lousy $100 when they can send it in to be graded like the three Companies listed and increase the Value more than a lousy $100 per Coin. Now these Companies are going to have them grade and sell them for over $2600 instead of maybe a couple hundred over purchase price. Someone said they should lower the Max. to one per person . I think that would be a good idea because would you give up your only one coin for a profit of $100 ? I think not.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

A lot of people tend to in the fast buck category and have no desire to send coins to PCGS or NGC so when they think of how easy it is to get an extra $100-$500 cash at a show then it's a no brainer to them. How many people can make $100 in a just a few minutes to a couple hours? I see why they did it, but I wouldn't.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

Some of this stuff is nauseating. On one of the shopping channels another huckster, Mike something or other sold black beauty nickels for over $200 and the people bought them. They are worth a premium but not that much. I could not do to people what he did, but when you have the venue, I guess you can try what you like.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

I've watched that 'MIKE' guy, just to see the pitch. Those 'buyers' would not know a proof from a xf circulated polished up.....whatever. They must record the 'show', as the same 'patter' is used in their ECRAP listing ad. They show up on-line 10-15 days later, for $75-$100 more. I LOL when I see these go 'round & 'round for 3 months, finally selling for the original price they paid, or a little less.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I started this website and forum to inform and combat this kind of "taking-advantage-of-people's-lack-of-numismatic-knowledge" coin selling. I first targeted online auctions in my guides, but then there's these fast-talking TV sellers.

I just can't reach people like I need to so they don't fall for this. You can buy anything they're selling much cheaper at ebay and dealerships, and coin shows. I just wish I could do more and the message out to more people.