1964 Morgan Dollar Discovered?

Post what's happening in the coin world. New things you discover or trends in the market. World coin or U.S. Coin release or design changes.

Moderator: Daniel

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

1964 Morgan Dollar Discovered?

#1 Unread post by Daniel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 am

Has a 1964 Morgan Dollar been discovered? I am hearing rumors that Q. Bowers and some others discovered a 1964 Morgan Dollar die at the Philadelphia Mint last summer. However, the ad for the newest edition of the Morgan Dollar guide claims this "New Edition of Whitman’s Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars Reveals Previously Unknown 1964 Morgan Dollar"

We have all heard of the 1964 Peace Dollar and it was actually struck and I've seen plenty of fantasy Morgan Dollar dates and counterfeits, but never heard of a 1964. So I am interested in what they have discovered. The new edition of the book will not be released until Sept. 27, 2016 but it can be pre-ordered at Amazon here The Guide Book of Morgan Dollars

I also see the cover from Amazon is different from the cover at coinweek.com, so maybe a little hype to fuel sales on this one. It is still intriguing and I own a previous edition of this book and it is full of important and useful information and images for each Morgan Dollar date and mint. http://www.coinweek.com/recent-articles ... an-dollar/

I don't own these images and they're used for news and educational purposes only.
Attachments
morgandollar1964.jpg
MorganDollarGuide.jpg
MorganDollarGuide.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 1964 Morgan Dollar Discovered?

#2 Unread post by dipper13 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Heard from a guy that indeed a 64 morgan was in works. He said it was shot down when they had to crank out 64 kennedy halves. I live close to mint in Phila.area. He had a friend who worked there. Probably cranked out one or two. WOW!!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1964 Morgan Dollar Discovered?

#3 Unread post by mhonzell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Here's a little more to the story:
1964 Morgan