U.S. Coin Production Tops 8.3B in First Half of 2016; More Reagan $1s

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

U.S. Coin Production Tops 8.3B in First Half of 2016; More Reagan $1s

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

U.S. coin production increased for a second straight month in June with United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia and Denver pressing over 1.5 billion coins for circulation, the most since October.

With this year’s string of strong production months, the U.S. Mint is on track to make the second most coins since 2001, having already made more than 8.3 coins through the first half of the year. Overall, coining presses in June struck 1,582,060,000 in cents, nickels, dimes, quarters and dollars for an increase of 2.1% from May but a 5.5% reduction from the same month a year earlier.

The following table shows circulating coin totals by month and their rankings over the past year.

http://www.coinnews.net/2016/07/12/u-s- ... f-of-2016/
2016-Ronald-Reagan-dollars-300x211.jpg
2016-Ronald-Reagan-dollars-300x211.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 4493 times

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: U.S. Coin Production Tops 8.3B in First Half of 2016; More Reagan $1s

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

This video is very interesting. It gives you an idea of how quickly each coin press produces each coin. I counted, very roughly, about two per second in the video. Wow.
And we're off to the internet. :mad:
I found the actual count according to the US Mint as 750 per minute (That's 12.5/second! Holy Cow, Batman!) at this link SLIDE SHOW Image 41

An astounding number that got me thinking how many coin presses would be needed to produce such a large quantity (8.363 BILLION)
----Running non stop, @ 750/minute, each press could produce roughly 1,080,000 coins every 24 hours. (60x60x24x2coins/second)
----Using the numbers by the US Mint:
A) 8.363 Billion circulation coins for six months at the Philadelphia(4.287 Billion= 51%) and Denver(4.076 Billion= 49%) mints
B)Production days= 6 months= 26 weeks x 5 days/week= 130 days of production
C)1,080,000 coins produced per day by each coin press (750 coins/minute x 1,440 minutes/day)
-----Total coin presses= 60
8,363,000,000 coins/130 days= 64,330,769 coins/day
64,330,769 coins/day divided by 1,080,000 coins/day/coin press= 60 coin presses (59.56 rounded to 60)

Does anyone know the actual number of coin presses at each mint?
One could probably use these numbers to extrapolate the number of dies for each denomination if it isn't readily available on the net.

So each mint has 30 coin presses (not counting reserves) (I would guess that the Mint uses two days a week to maintain presses and replace dies since the presses are running 5 days a week.)Phil.= 51%, Denver= 49% of total circulating coin production.

(What am I missing or what have I miscalculated.)
Click this Link to see the US mints own production numbers.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: U.S. Coin Production Tops 8.3B in First Half of 2016; More Reagan $1s

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I LOVE "BREAKDOWNS"...... TY :yourock:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep