2016 Gold Walking Half Dollar, Standing Quarter, Mercury Dime

Post what's happening in the coin world. New things you discover or trends in the market. World coin or U.S. Coin release or design changes.

Moderator: Daniel

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

2016 Gold Walking Half Dollar, Standing Quarter, Mercury Dime

#1 Unread post by Daniel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:57 am

Nice article on the new gold versions of type coins coming out and hope everyone doesn't get bit by the hype.

http://www.coinweek.com/modern-coins/th ... for-years/

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2016 Gold Walking Half Dollar, Standing Quarter, Mercury Dime

#2 Unread post by mhonzell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:34 am

I really like these two paragraphs:

"One collector-friend of mine said: “On the three gold centennials, I am buying them because I feel the early 20th century coins are practically the essence of American coin collecting. I have trouble seeing how anyone could be interested in collecting U.S. coins could not be interested in the coins of the early 20th century.”

Another factor is that the market for show label coins has matured considerably over the past couple years. Not only did the 2014 JFK gold show label coins decline quickly in value, but other coins issued more recently with first day of issue labels have not been selling for huge premiums either. And many collectors say they want these tribute coins in their original government packaging, though of course some will want graded examples."

Have collectors finally come to understand the TPG holder is just to protect the coin, that the grade is subjective, and the label can be an outright lie?