83,100 penny's deposited

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 83,100 penny's deposited

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

My guess is that the fed might be obligated to pick up any extreme excess of money: coins or bills. Certainly hope they don't melt them down for copper!
gotcoins: Here is a challenge: Calculate how many plated cents could be made from these 81,300 copper cents? Any takers?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, but who contacted the Feds here? Banks get change everyday and I know this is a larger than normal amount, someone still had to call them or report this amount.

mylcoinintx
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by mylcoinintx »

You are right Daniel, someone had to notify the feds for them to get the coins. The bank had already made space for the coins in their vault. They were just waiting for the armored truck to come to pick them up. Someone notified the TV station also, because they had a story on this. Maybe the feds saw the story on TV and then went and picked up the coins. The real question is: why did the feds pick up the coins? I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that they know about the value of old coins and they figured that they had a opportunity to make some cash on the side. It wouldn't surprise me.......

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by dipper13 »

Only a moron would run really old pennies into a bank without trying to sell them privately???? I could see a three hundred dollar price easily. My goodness, $80 in pennies is $160 just in copper!!!

mylcoinintx
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by mylcoinintx »

Dipper13, you did mean $831 in penny's and $1662 in copper? I would of gladly gave the man twice the price that the bank gave him. And yes, you are right, what person would take a lot of coins to the bank to get only face value, unless he was looking for his 15 minutes of fame by bringing them to a bank and have the TV network televise the event. I remember back when a guy in Houston, Tx wheeled in several wheelbarrows of penny's that he saved up to buy a brand new cadillac. Go figure......

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by mhonzell »

I believe the record is in Alabama where a guy turned in 1,308,459 pennies. Saved them for 38 years. Took 7 hours for a machine to count them. That was in 2005.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

J.Wilson
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by J.Wilson »

i am currently going thru my dads pennies hes been hoarding in a glass 5 gallon jar that is slap full probably 300 400 pounds easy 500.00 worth of pennies hes been saving for the last 15 years but I haven't found much yet but I'm not even a tenth of the way thru and my eye is killing me from magnification and still waiting for the big one!