Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

Post what's happening in the coin world. New things you discover or trends in the market. World coin or U.S. Coin release or design changes.

Moderator: Daniel

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

#1 Unread post by Daniel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

I have always stated that PCGS is inconsistent and more about the money than actually being the standard. What I didn't know was how bad it had become since the last time I checked into this. My first clue was when Coin World had a piece on the 1997 Lincoln Cent in MS67 that sold for a thousand less than it used to be worth. Reason? Because PCGS graded more since the last time I checked and this date isn't the only example. I assume it could be resubmits of the same grade trying to get a higher grade, but who knows.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/57 ... kifQ%3D%3D

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Look at what PCGS is doing to certain coin values

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

WOW! At first I thought maybe this article was a "sour grapes" sort of thing since the author was a finalizer for grading at NGC (which he did disclose). But looking at his graphs in this article makes it seem like something happened 2014-2015 to affect the grading of the coins referenced. But it is troubling to think that certain customers may have been given preferential treatment in relation to coin grades! It will be interesting to see how PCGS responds to this article!

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:36 am

There has to be truth in what they say. Those coins could not all be resubmitted. Who would resubmit a coin already tied for finest. The only answer is preferential grading for volume customers. This stinks!!

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer
Master Die Variety Attributer

#4 Unread post by PALH1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:58 pm

is everyone starting to understand "MARKETING"

my philosophy for "coin encapsulation":
1. AUTHENTICITY
2. PRESERVATION
3. 'PROOF' DESIGNATION
4. 'VARIETY' ATTRIBUTION (if they recognize that one)

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:39 am

I know some are resubmissions but that doesn't account for all of this, or does it? I know first hand that certain dealers submit coins over and over again and spend thousands of dollars a month at PCGS. I think population reports are bogus and help create the "value" coins. The two top grading services are publicly traded and must please investors with higher profits, and have their own network of dealers and their own values on coins. I think some of that could be considered a conflict of interest.

These companies pretty much created the market that they own and you can make some good money submitting coins to them, but you can loose a lot of money as well.