Need some expert advice.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mvanport
Coining Around

Need some expert advice.

#1 Unread post by mvanport »

I have a 1812 Capped Bust 50 cent piece, that has a rotate reverse that is 90 degrees from the front. I have not seen any mint errors like that and would like to determine what the value of that coin would be. Can anyone give me a range of what that coin is worth? It's in VF condition.
Last edited by mvanport on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need some expert advice.

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you're referring to a die rotation error, so can you post an image or scan of your coin? It's 90 degrees then that will add a premium, but before you get that premium, it will need to be certified by ANACS, PCGS or NGC. People who pay real money for errors like them certified, and why mention this is that the grade of the coin will also determine part of that value.

If I can see the coin then I can tell you if it's cleaned or damaged and approximate grade, then a value range. Also there's a couple varieties for this date so seeing this coin is important.

mvanport
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by mvanport »

Yes, you're quite correct on the rotation. I will upload some pictures of it ASAP.
I am new to collecting, so my terminology is a little off yet.

mvanport
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by mvanport »

I have added the coin front and reverse. The paper clip references the top of the coin in the front and back.
Attachments
cappedFront.jpg
cappedReverse (1).jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

:greatfind: :winnah: :thumbsup:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It might be a little more than 80 degrees but it's a die rotation, and there's not much in the way of records to give it a value based on the rotation.

Can you do me a favor? Post straight on and a clear image of the date. You want to look for Large 8 1812/1. I am not saying it is, but the date it turned and blurry in the image, and it doesn't hurt to get a closer look.

The coin might suffer from some environmental damage, hate to mention, but it looks to be. If so then it should details grade Fine 15, and maybe a slim chance at very fine. A F15 no error, no variety 1812 bust Half would be a $100-$150 coin.

So post a better image of the date and I will try to find some more info on the value of the die rotation. It might add another $100, but you really want this to be a variety.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Almost forgot, I have a web page for these varieties here http://coinauctionshelp.com/CappedBustH ... eties.html

So you can click on these images and compare your coin to them.

mvanport
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by mvanport »

Here is the date. I don't think the date is anything special. No large 8, or a another number under the 2. But you be the judge.
Attachments
front 2.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I still need to look at this date without an angle. The serifs of the 8 is rounded or looks to be and there's some shapes inside and outside the 2, plus some debri. Plus you have to look at the date orientation in relation to the drapery. So if you can't post another image then please visit my Bust variety page I linked, click on the image, then click it to zoom again.

Compare your coin, your 8 and your 2, plus date position. You don't have to but why not? Humor me. lol

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's a link to auction archives on rotated dies for Bust Half Dollars http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx ... otated+die

You have to join, but it's free and no credit required, to see the values. However, it's a great resource.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's an idea of what I was talking about, this is not accurate, but it allows you to see the orientation of the digits compared to the bust. The first image is a small date, the second is a large date, and the third image is the coin you posted.
Attachments
1812forum2.jpg

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:Here's an idea of what I was talking about, this is not accurate, but it allows you to see the orientation of the digits compared to the bust. The first image is a small date, the second is a large date, and the third image is the coin you posted.
you think'n small date?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mvanport
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by mvanport »

Here is the date close up. I don't know how accurate I am being, but the eight looks like the large 8 in the reference photos. Again, I am not an expert.
Attachments
date.jpg
date.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 2495 times

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

It seems to me the date is shifted to the left like a large date, the first date and top date of the three images I provided is a small date and you can see the date alignment is different than the second and you coin.

What do you plan on doing with this coin? It can be a large date but not the over date. ANACS is a good pace to send it and it's easy to do, that way you know if it's a problem coin and if it is a variety.

mvanport
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by mvanport »

I hadn't thought of what I would do with the coin. My wife says to sell it and I want to keep it, so I'll probably end up selling...lol.

I will follow up with ANACS to see what the grading process is and if it's worth it.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

Sending it to ANACS would answer some questions and if you do have to sell it then it's going to reach it's value potential much better. Raw will not. Then if you decide to keep it it's protected in hard plastic and labeled for the future.

If you need help with ANACS we're always here to help, there's a few members who use their services.

mvanport
Coining Around

#17 Unread post by mvanport »

I have checked the ANACS site and it seems reasonable. However, to get more information about the coin, I would have to add research and verification. Does that seem correct?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by mhonzell »

With ANACS variety attribution, you either pay $7 or $12.
The $7 method is if you know the variety and you simply want ANACS to agree, or disagree.
The $12 method is if you do not know the variety, but suspect it is one and you want ANACS to figure it out.

You don't have to pay for both.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mvanport
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by mvanport »

I think I will send it there then. I can update you once I get the coin back.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by mhonzell »

It's about a four week process. Set up an account with ANACS online and after three weeks, you should be able to see some kind of status on the coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Unread post by Daniel »

Great, would love to know what they have to say.