New Guy Needs Help with Coins

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Gunner
Coining Around

New Guy Needs Help with Coins

#1 Unread post by Gunner »

Hello All,
I'm new here and hope you guys can help me out.
My Grandaughter is a US Soldier and while in Afghanistan she bought a couple old coins that I think are extremely old. I'm hoping somebody can tell me how to find out what exactly they are and a value.
My Grandaughter was told one of the coins was a....Dimitrius the first of Bactria.
So can you guys tell me something about them? I will post some pics of them.
Here is a link to one that I think is the same...http://coinindia.com/MIG0103v-Demetrios1-168.08.jpg

Thanks Much for the help
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Guy Needs Help with Coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I hate to comment but these coins don't look authentic. No matter where you go in this world there's counterfeit coins and most made in China. So I forwarded the coin to our ancient coin expert and see what he has to say about them.

jjfnumismatics
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by jjfnumismatics »

Very hard to determine authenticity from those photos.
They look like ancient Greek Baktrian silver drachmae, but they also look like modern forgeries of Baktrian drachm coins.
To tell, you either need very high quality photos, to show them to an expert in hand, or , in the case of documented fakes, match them against identical fakes published in forgery databases.
Sorry i can't give a more definitive answer, but with ancient coins, you need close scrutiny.

Gunner
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Gunner »

[quote="Daniel"]I hate to comment but these coins don't look authentic. No matter where you go in this world there's counterfeit coins and most made in China. So I forwarded the coin to our ancient coin expert and see what he has to say.

Thanks Daniel,
I'll be interested in what your expert has to say. If I go to a local coin guy, should I expect him to be able to tell me if they are counterfeit or not? Again, thanks for the input!!

Gunner
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Gunner »

I am now deciding whether or not its worth my time to try to determine if this is fake or not. Can anybody give me an idea what the value of these coins might be. If we are talking $20, I won't spend a lot of time on it. If it's a few hundred bucks, I will pursue it. So, can you give me a ball park price of genuine coins.
Thanks again

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

I think you have positively identified the first coin's reverse. I can't make out the obverse in the photo, but it should not have any legends.

It may be a fake or imitated coin, but this is what it depicts.

King of Baktira: Demetrios I. Circa 200-185 BC.
Tetradrachm or Obol
Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ
Herakles standing facing, crowning
himself, holding club and lion skin; monogram to
inner left.
Obverse: King’s head in Elephant-skin

It's an Oriental-Greek-India coin, so it doesn't look normal.
Attachments
SNGANS_188.jpg
SNGANS_188.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

I think I just figured out your photos...
The top left is the reverse of coin one and the bottom left is the obverse. That makes it the coin I provided a photo of and may actually be a nice coin. There are about six variations of this coin. So, you'll have to look up the specifics since you can see it. (http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/b ... ios/t.html)

The one on the right is distinguished by having two busts on one side of the coin. Not too many of those types.

Better photos would still be nice. (It could still be a modern day tourist token... but I can't tell from the photos.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

pahwa
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by pahwa »

Welcome to the site Gunner. Have fun.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Gunner
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Gunner »

Thx for the help. I located an ancient coin "expert" in the area and will have him check them out. I'll post when I find out what I have.

Again thanks to all