Hi from NC :-)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RubyMcKay
Coining Around

Hi from NC :-)

#1 Unread post by RubyMcKay »

Hi!

I'm Gina from western NC. I've been collecting "pretty" or "unique" coins since middle school - when I got back a 1920s dime in the cafeteria... Later the worker saw me looking it over & tried to get it back. I figured I might be onto something (I still have it) - safely stored away.... (my husband had a mis-printed dollar that was worth a lot, grabbed it in a hurry one morning & used it to buy a diet coke - so we've got better storage now ;-)

I don't know much about grading or error types - I've been reading up for about a year & still feel lost. My girls are 5 & 8 and they are into it now. If they get anything that looks or feels different in change they will always hold onto it. Anyway - thanks for any help y'all can give :-)))

Gina

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hi from NC :-)

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum! Just ask any questions you like and please include images of both sides of any coin or currency you have a question about. Your 1920's dime is a Mercury Dime and the mint mark is on the back, bottom left side, IF it has one. 1921 and 1921-D are semi key dates years so you should check the coin for the exact date and mint mark.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

:welcome: Welcome Ruby and family. Oooops about that dollar bill, another reason to give up diet sodas!! widegrin . Collecting certainly can be a lot of fun and this is a great place to learn and absorb information from some talented and committed people. Great way to learn the terminology and get to view posts with lots of different interests. Coin On! happydance:

RubyMcKay
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by RubyMcKay »

Thank you both! I will check that dime & post pics.

I know we should give up the diet sodas! Mine is the diet dew - I'm so addicted lol!

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by dipper13 »

Welcome Ruby! North Carolina is beautiful. My mom was from Maxton, near Laurinburg in eastern N.C. We all try to help each other here. No question is silly, there are very expert people in the forum who can help you. Just ask. Dan

RubyMcKay
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by RubyMcKay »

Here is the mercury dime I have & a gold coin. The last offer I had on the gold coin was $80 at a pawn shop last year. The coin is marked .999 fine gold & the setting is 24K. I'm wondering if I should have the coin removed & scrap the setting - or do you think it would be more valuable as a jewelry piece?

I've got to get scales - I've got postage scales, but I'm not sure how accurate they are on small weights.
Attachments
image.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Pawn shops tend to be high on their coins and jewelry and it's most valuable as a jewelry piece, but it's still worth melt in accordance to what it weighs.

The Mercury Dime is a common date and worth $2 to $3 but it's a nice find in change and the value is more sentimental and there's no price for that.