Howdy All!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Howdy All!

#11 Unread post by mhonzell »

We have a winner!
Nice job.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Coin is a Banovac and current coin is Kuna ("Crown").

It was a fantastic trip!
PM your address to receive a token for your research efforts.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Congrats petespockets! I just didn't have the time to research, but glad you did!

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

My daughter always says I need to get a life. ( :
Onofrio's fountains in Dubrovnik it is then. Quite a history there. stayed up way too late reading. Thank you for sending us on the quest. You are currently in Ill.? My brother moved to Varna, Ill. when coming back from Taiwan in 1974 (Airforce) For some reason, Illinois doesn't come racing to mind when thinking of submarines. ( :

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Daniel, What do you do with all your "spare" time? Thanks so much for all the time you invest in this site for everyone who visits. It is very helpful and is a great resource for all of us wanting to know more information but not sure how to get it.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by mhonzell »

Submarines are powered by nuclear power plants. Illinois has quite a few nuclear power plants providing electricity to its population.

In regards to the challenge... I was just trying to make my "introduction" interesting.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#16 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

It was very interesting with the places you have visited and experiences with different coinage. I like your take on dealing with mucky coins. It is about removing foreign matter in a careful manner that doesn't detract from or damage the coin. I have taken a similar limited testing approach on already damaged common coins to see if it is possible to remove the common dirt and grime found on most circulated coins. Soaking in olive oil to loosen debris to simply rinsing with boiling water.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by mhonzell »

Careful with boiling water. It can discolor copper and the agitation will put marks on the coins.
Hot water is usually adequate.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

PetesPockets55 wrote:Daniel, What do you do with all your "spare" time? Thanks so much for all the time you invest in this site for everyone who visits. It is very helpful and is a great resource for all of us wanting to know more information but not sure how to get it.
I am thankful that this forum and website helpful and a good resource. I don't have much spare time but when I do it's fishing, metal detecting and spending time with my family. I love college football so I take time to watch games.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by mhonzell »

Ooh!! Thanks for the reminder... It's Sunday... football game today.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

:thumbsup: I watch a little NFL as well.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#21 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Woo hoo. Got my first ancient this week, from the reign of
Constantine the Great, 307 AD- 337 AD. Thank you mhonzell for
the prize. I will see if I can post a few pics.Was it one you found in
one of your travels? And thanks for the pointer about the boiling
water possibly damaging the coins. Is olive oil to soften the grime
and then a light rinse in Dawn- to remove residue ok? I know, "they "
say no cleaning at all, but to get the surface crud off?
Trying to add pics of the prize but misbehaving program.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#22 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

The prize from mhonzell. Hope the pics do it justice. Thanks again! widegrin :yourock:
Attachments
ConstantinetheGreatRevOct52013_303_337AD.jpg
ConstantinetheGreatObvOct52013_303_337AD.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by mhonzell »

No, this is one I received looking like below from Bulgaria. (Not bad for 1700 years old!) Glad you like it!

Regarding olive oil, distilled water and soap...
None are good if they stay on the coin for extended periods of time. Soap is caustic, oil is almost neutral (very slight acid), and distilled water is safest. BUT, the question is how are you going to get it off (yes, even the water.) It is this part that always ends up with some type of rubbing, whether by hand, cloth, q-tip, etc. and this is where the scratches come into play.

Oil and water can be removed with acetone, but it is not recommended for any coin that has copper in it since a reaction does occur (on ocassion) with high copper content that tones copper purplish blue over time. If you use soap, then you have to "scrub". If you use water, then some metals, eg. bronze in Indian Heads, can result in Bronze disease when chlorine on the coin becomes "active".

Cleaning is unique to each coin. So, no one answer fits. Sorry.
Attachments
Before.jpg
Last edited by mhonzell on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Unread post by Daniel »

What do you think NCS, NGC's conservation service uses to restore coins? It all depends on the coin metal but also on what caused the coins environmental damage in the first place. I think the coin is fine as is, so why do anything?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by mhonzell »

Not sure who you are addressing, but Pete's question was regarding coins in general (prior post), not a specific coin. I'm sure I use a limited set of similar techniques as NCS, but I am also sure they have a much larger arsenal of techniques. As stated, every coin is unique. You have to understand the metal, the dirt, the existing damage, etc. No one rule works for all coins. That's why almost everyone will strongly state: DON"T CLEAN YOUR COINS. But, if you must... please, please, please... practice on worthless coins first and see what kind of damage you are doing with each technique. If you think you got it down, clean a bright shiny new penny and see how bad you really are. You would be surprised.

I don't think he was doing anything to the ancient coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by Daniel »

Their post was vague, and it sounded like they intended to clean the coin they posted and was asking for advice on how to clean it. He didn't say "coins in general" so I wanted to be clear with my answer.

A knowledgeable person knows all the different chemicals and their reactions to different metals and with the metals with the particular environmental problems, so NCS uses methods not known by the majority, but there's a certain minority of collectors that can perform the same conservation methods. It's really not that difficult, and coins are not that easy to damage unless a person is just plain ignorant.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by mhonzell »

That's the problem with having half the conversation in Private Message/e-mail.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by Daniel »

I think the answer is simple, and mhonzell you points are sound and accurate, but if you have to ask about how to clean a coin then you shouldn't clean the coin. Just as already stated, practice on common date and coins worth face value. You just don't want to experiment on coins that have a numismatic value.

All of us who have cleaned coins have ruined a coin or two in the process, so it's best not to clean a coin until you do a lot of research. Ancient coins are most always cleaned, type US Coins should left as is, and I only clean a coin if it has tape residue, adhesives or paste and gunk on the surface. I don't clean a coin if it's just a bit dirty, and I NEVER touch a copper coin.

Silver and clad coins are most forgiving with some cleaning methods but copper is not.