Fake or good 5 dollar coin?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Bruce

Fake or good 5 dollar coin?

#1 Unread post by Bruce »

Hello,could anyone please tell me if this is a good or a counterfeit coin?I have it listed on ebay right now under my username rarepots.I got this from craigslist and the same lady wants to sell me another one today,1891.Thankyou very much in advance for any help,Bruce.
Attachments
001.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fake or good 5 dollar coin?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum Bruce, you're welcome here and we are always willing to help people with coins. Collecting shouldn't involved stress, it's supposed to be fun, so asking question here should relive some of that doubt.

The bars just inside the rim are called denticles and if that's what you're referring to then I don't see anything wrong with this coin. From the images I don't see anything amiss, the coin was struck from a die, I can see that, and it's not a cast copy or spark erosion fake.

The star behind Liberty's head has a misshaped top ray of the star and all the stars appear to be the correct shape, the date looks the correct size and shape and font. I might have been wrong about it being cleaned, but it's appears to be AU and has some circulation marks.

I just don't see anything that red flags the coin. I hope this helps. However, I wouldn't buy too many coins from private people since your confidence and knowledge on fakes and counterfeits needs juiced up a bit. I have several guides with images on fake silver dollars here http://coinauctionshelp.com/Counterfeit ... ollar.html

Visit these pages and feel free to ask as many questions you like, and post images, and don't ever think you can question me out. I never tire of it lol:

Bruce

#3 Unread post by Bruce »

Thankyou,I see what you mean by the star be a little misshaped right behind the head and yes you are right,I did mean the denticles,thanx!!!Bruce.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by dipper13 »

Bruce, Another way to tell with a gold coin is weight. If you have a scale, you can pretty much confirm . Gold is unique in density and is difficult to mimic correct weight with base metals used to fool people. It weighs very much more than most metals comparative to its' size. Dan

Bruce

#5 Unread post by Bruce »

Hi Dan,I did bring a coin scale which I just got from ebay a month ago and the weight was dead on.I also tested with a magnet,thankyou for all the info,now I will feel much better buying from this person but will still be careful,thanx!!!Bruce.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It's all in the details of the design and most certainly the weight. You will do fine since you care to learn and ask questions so you don't stick another person with a fake coin. Very good of you and welcome to the forum!

Kimkinsley
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Kimkinsley »

I got a metal detector and plan to buy a gold detector. Is a metal detector capable of detecting gold?
Last edited by Kimkinsley on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by dipper13 »

Yes, some detectors have a separate coil for gold, but your detector will ID it. If you can, take a gold coin and see how your detector reacts to it. They all react differently. Try experimenting with a setting that will ID gold and silver. Dan

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Good info Dan, same advice I would give. A pure gold detector is a marketing method to sell to detectors to gold prospectors. The technology is near the same for all types of hand held detectors and they can be set to detect gold. Don't get me wrong a gold coil would be a little better than universal coil, so just buy a compatible gold coil to exchange on the detector you already have.