I have 1781 Britainia style, but can't find a listing of it

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
twobzs
Coining Around

I have 1781 Britainia style, but can't find a listing of it

#1 Unread post by twobzs »

I haven't figured out how to get a picture uploaded to this yet, or would post pictures. This is a well worn, possibly fire damaged, coin, so detail is bad. But, I can make out what I believe is 1781 under the Britainnia header / seated person side of the coin. That part is easy to find in books, ebay, on-line ref.. But the reverse of the Britainnia side I can not find. It looks a lot like Thomas Jefferson or maybe Washington facing left, but has a hat/crown that looks like what Columbus wore. The side of the hat is broken into even sections with a high point at the separation line between each section, thus giving it kind of a crown look as well. That side I have not found anything that even comes close to what it looks like. I suppose it could be a Queen Victoria bust, hard to tell because of the wear, but I don't think so. This is a copper and is about the size of a large cent, about the rim thickness smaller than a half dollar.

Any ideas?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I have 1781 Britainia style, but can't find a listing of

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It could be a 1791, but without an image and a clear one, can't help with this coin. If you want to upload and images just look below the submit button that you clicked when you posted and there will be a browse button.

Click this button and a window pops up and you can select the image from the files on your computer, once you do click the file, then click okay. Then you click Add the file and wait fro the page to refresh and then click the submit button.

If you have any further issues I will be glad to help.

twobzs
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by twobzs »

Thanks for the input. If I did it right, I have 2 Britainnia side pictures and 3 bust side pictures attached.
Attachments
100_0489.JPG
100_0497.JPG
100_0499.JPG
100_0500.JPG
100_0501.JPG
100_0504.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Does this help any? http://coinauctionshelp.com/imitationbr ... -1789.html

I can't make out the date or the side that has the bust, but the coin appears to be Post Colonial.

twobzs
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by twobzs »

I just tried adding a couple more pictures. Holding the coin at an angle, I see what looks like 1781 pretty clearly. The banner is Britainnia, not Indi, so it still gets back to finding a coin reference with a guy wearing a hat like this guy is wearing on a Britainnia coin. Red Book didn't help and on-line searches didn't help, but did get me to this web site. Is there a better colonial/post colonial book/source I can check? Or were there also British minted Britainnia coins, not colonial? If so, this could be Queen Vic...

Thanks again,
Attachments
100_0507.JPG
100_0509.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It could very well be a 1781 Large Penny with Queen Victoria and wouldn't be a Colonial. Funny, when you mentioned it was a guy with a hat that I didn't think of it as being an extremely worn large penny.