New To Collecting

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jkdgill03
Coining Around

New To Collecting

#1 Unread post by Jkdgill03 »

Hello All,

My names is James. I am new to collecting. I have a few questions regarding a recent purchase. I bought a Morgan Dollar - 1893 S. I took it to 4 different coin shops and got A 50/50 answer. 2 shops said that it was real and the other 2 said that it was difficult to tell thinking it was a counterfeit. They checked the silver "ring" instead of a thud. They weighed it and it was 26.?? grams. They checked to make sure the "S" wasn't soldered on there. They did everything but said it was real. They also told me that they ARE NOT saying it is fake but due to the rarity, they have to assume it isn't real. Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks for any help provided.

James
Attachments
md front.jpg
md back.jpg
md 1.jpg
md 2.jpg
md 3.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New To Collecting

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

This coin is a counterfeit and I am 100% sure, not afraid to say so either, although it tough for me when you paid money for it. The lettering isn't correct, close, but not right, there's die surface pitting on the reverse left of the left wing and by the N of UNITED, and an authentic 1893-S will have a die gouge above the T in TRUST.

Furthermore the coin has the appearance of being struck in cheap metal, possibly with lead, and that's not good. The coin was struck from a fake die so the S would have been on the die and wouldn't look soldered or glued on, or carved into an authentic 1893.

I proved a couple images of an authentic 1893-S, and they're large, so you can compare them to your coin. The die gouge above the T looks like a little cloud above the T but you can see it in the images I attached.

It's a little better of a counterfeit, but I am surprised that any coin dealer would not be able to tell the difference. All I can say is that I would never darken the door of their coin shops ever again!
Attachments
1893-s.jpg
1893-s2.jpg

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 »

That coin is not real. The dies used were not right. Not only the die gouge, but look at the coloring around the letters. It is crying out that it is fake.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I also meant to add that there was only one die used for the obverse and for the entire mintage, so all obverses have the same characteristics, namely a raised line in the T of TRUST. Only two different dies where used for the reverse and not all have the same die gouge.