About my Self

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

About my Self

#1 Unread post by 2centsal »

:welcome: I guess it's never to late to introduce yourself. Anyway, My name is Sal and I'm 46 years old. I've been into coin collecting since I was little when an Uncle started giving me some of his old coins and Currency to start my collection. He was a WW2 Vet who lost his leg while trying to rescue wounded soldiers. He was a Medic. Since he couldn't get around well, I use to help him out around the yard and he would pay me in old coins/Currency which I was happy to receive. One of the things I use to do for him is dig his garden so he could plant Vegetables. Every time I turned the dirt over I would find Wheat Back Pennies. He told me the area was a dump site and the past owners must have dropped the coins. It wasn't til I got older that I realized he was actually the one throwing the pennies in the garden area.
In 2002, I got into Metal Detecting and have found some amazing finds. That's how I realized my uncle was the one responsible for the coins in the garden because they were always in VF or better condition. As a Detectorist I knew it was uncommon to find Wheaties in such nice condition and that's when I realized it was him. He did it as an incentive to return every year to dig his garden and find more coins.
In 2006 while Metal Detecting I was bit by a tick and got a nasty rash. The doctor that I saw told me it was more likely a spider bite because the rash wasn't a " Classic Bulls-Eye ". He was wrong ! In February of 2007 I started having all kinds of problems, mostly extreme pain, memory problems, shaking, depression and panic attacks. I went a whole year before I found a
Infectious Disease Doctor that clinically diagnosed me as having Lyme Disease . I was tested for the 3rd time in a year and finally the test was positive. To make a long story short, I was treated for 2 years and never have fully recovered. I was found unable to work and have been on Social Security Disability since. Unable to work and not much to do because I had to give up Metal Detecting for about 5 year, I decided to get back to Coin collecting and started learning more an more about the hobby.
My passion and expertise is better with Colonial Coins and coins used in the 1800's . While Detecting, I've found mostly coins from 1733 - the late 1800's at old cellar holes in the State Forest in my area . I live in Connecticut and coins of this period are very common . I've learned so much about how coins during this period have made a it necessary for the Government to start producing their own coins which started in 1793. Before that the Colonist used coins from other Countries like England ( King George Coppers mostly), Spanish coins ( Reales) and Irish/ French coinage. Private coins also circulated like the Fugio Cent, State Coppers ( CT., Mass., Vemont, New Jersey etc.) . These are just a handful of coins used. For more Info. about pre 1793 coins go to
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/index.html
The site is called The Coins of Colonial and Early America.
As a Coin collector, Metal Detectorist and Historian I've learned so much how early coins have impacted society especially during the Revolutionary War and Civil War. There were times when Coins became scarce and that's when the need for Currency was born. The Country couldn't rely on coins alone to fund these Wars.
I don't want to get too much more into Coins since this is supposed to be more about who I am. I think I've said enough and just want to say I'm happy I found this site to help me out with more modern coins and have learned a lot since joining. I think the most fascinating thing I've been learning about is Error Coins. I've had like I said a small collection of coins compared to others but since I've learned more about errors, I've increased my collections Value by finding several error coins that I never knew I had. Lastly, if anyone has any Colonial coins and need help, I'd be happy to do my best.
Thanks for reading my Bio and I'll see you on the forum.
This is a Picture of me 6 years ago when I found three 2 Cent Coins in one day and that's how I got my nickname after finding over 25 of these coins in 4 years.
Me - 2 Cent Day.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: About my Self

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I am glad you found this forum and glad to have you a member. I enjoy our PM's and glad you have the bug!