Beware grading company

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Tedwardo
Coining Around

Beware grading company

#1 Unread post by Tedwardo »

Have any other members had difficulty with ANACS coin grading? I sent them eight Morgans to be graded in October, with a return date estimated at six weeks. When I got the shipment the box contained Lincoln one cents. I notified them immediately...they replied send them back..a few weeks later they notified me that my Morgans had been graded and were sent to the wrong address and could not be retrieved. They were extremely non-responsive to my certified letters to the President, James Taylor and V.P. Paul Delafice, inquiring about resolution. It took me twenty minutes to find the duplicate coins in the same grades on Ebay. They replied that their policy prohibited them from online purchases, and I would have to wait for them to acquire my coins at scheduled coin shows. The Attorney General and the BBB became involved with possible fraud and criminal activity. Over a period of eight months, they eventually replaced all of my Morgans, but not my expenses involved in the incident. Neither did they apologize for the incident, but sent me a letter accusing me of "gold digging" and trying to make more from the incident than what the coins were worth...another paragraph in that letter led me to believe that this letter was off point and obviously meant for another client. They admitted this error. Their books are sloppy and their shipping records are sloppy. I will never know if the coins I sent them were truly the grades of the replacement coins...my original shipment could have been MS66 or better, and they replaced them with MS60 to MS63. Never again. NIGHTMARE!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Beware grading company

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

What a sad story. I do hope you have the documents to back it up since they could take this as slander otherwise. However, your story is something that should never happen and surprised me that ANACS would fail like this.

And welcome to the forum.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

Hi and welcome to the forum. What a horrible story. It makes one wonder about the coins and grade. You know they have all the info on file and it sounds like they knew what coins they were as well. That would be extremely frustrating. Like Daniel said, keep all documents.

Have you heard of this happening in the past Daniel? I don't think they will be on my list to send in coins for grading and slabbing. What a nightmare.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I have never heard of this before. Years ago I had a shipment of coins stolen in the mail but they were sent to PCI. I never sent coins to them again and that was just to check their grading standard at the time. I wouldn't throw ANACS to the dogs yet they have been in business for years, but poor management can kill a business. Remember that this is the internet and there's a lot of heresay.

I am not saying the OP is lying but got to be cautious about people joining for the main purpose of bashing another company. Should never react publically on pure emotion.

Tedwardo
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Tedwardo »

Thanks Daniel, and you bet I have documents...a entire stack of them, and the BBB in Denver has documents as well. After the stress they put me through, if they have the gall to sue me for slander, my suit for punitive damages and expenses would quickly follow. I wouldn't send these people my grandkids spelling papers to grade.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I just can't believe they would make it look like you made such a big deal over nothing. I can guarantee they would make a big deal if one of us cheated them out of their grading fees. We would be in collections and anything else they could do. How sad.

Tedwardo
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Tedwardo »

I did not "join for the purpose of bashing another company". I joined to hopefully get some help from other members with knowledge of VAMs. However, I posted this to forewarn other members and perhaps save them the stress and misery they put me through for six months, not to mention the time involved, all due to their incompetence in the industry.

Tedwardo
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Tedwardo »

In case you are wondering, the value of the shipment was around $3,500. and included numerous rare Carson City Morgans...perhaps this figure is "nothing" to them, but it's a lot to me. One puzzle about the incident was that they never bothered to explain exactly why they were unable to retrieve my originals from the wrong recipient, which leads me to believe that the story was fabricated, and they kept my high end coins....will never know.

fwd
Coin Expert

#9 Unread post by fwd »

...not to make a fuss or anything fellows but shouldn't these posts be better received in the general coin forums? just an observation on my part and in NO WAY meaning to upset anyone! think of it as constructive criticism. widegrin

Tedwardo
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Tedwardo »

Sorry...I am a brand new member...was not aware of the different forums...thanks for the tip. The forum that I am posting on is reserved for what exactly?

fwd
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by fwd »

Tedwardo wrote:Sorry...I am a brand new member...was not aware of the different forums...thanks for the tip. The forum that I am posting on is reserved for what exactly?
...this forum that you've been posting on is pretty much for the initial visit to ALL of the forums. the 'index' will show all of the forums. usually general questions are posted on the general coin forums.

it's no big deal but i think you might get more views of your posts when posted in the general forum depending on the subject. like i said constructive criticism on my part and in no way to cause any confrontation.

jump in anytime-----daniel! lol:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

It actually should be in the grading service thread but would get the most views in the general coin forum. I am not picky and fwd was just suggesting were it would get better exposure. I might move it there later.

Tedwardo, no offense, but we don't know you and we get a lot of riff-raff every-now-and-again, so I always warn the members about jumping to conclusion on something that's posted and making decisions based on these posts. Just being cautious. I am glad you like Morgan VAMS and can't wait to see some or discuss them.

Tedwardo
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Tedwardo »

Daniel...thanks for tips...I am totally open to construction criticism...how else am I going to learn the format?...Ted