Another newbie with a question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dtwigg
Coining Around

Another newbie with a question

#1 Unread post by dtwigg »

Hey everyone !

I have a question. I just bought 2 Accugrade graded coins. I noticed one was graded A2-64C and one was A3-64C. I tried to look up the difference but didn't get too far. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? One was a $1 gold piece and one was a $2.50 Gold piece.

Thanks,
Denny Twigg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another newbie with a question

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

dtwigg wrote:Hey everyone !

I have a question. I just bought 2 Accugrade graded coins. I noticed one was graded A2-64C and one was A3-64C. I tried to look up the difference but didn't get too far. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? One was a $1 gold piece and one was a $2.50 Gold piece.

Thanks,
Denny Twigg
I am sorry. I was offline for a while. If your talking about old Accugrade Holders then I believe these are the same as MS64. I could be wrong. However, if this is a new system that Accugrade is using now, I don't know.

Welcome to the forum and great question!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by Maineman750 »

It looks like the Accugrade website domain is for sale. Have you tried calling their number and asking ? I'm not sure what the A2 and A3 stand for.
Roger

acan451
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by acan451 »

Hi dtwigg
Welcome to the form.
Accugrade or (ACG) as fare as I know is out of business
Now that being said what do the numbers mean on your holder?, well without seeing it, I was thinking it may be the one in the picture below.
you will notice that on the picture on the left it says A2 65C, on the right side it has a break down of what the letters and numbers mean. The top being for Strike and Surface then under that you have Proof or Proof like. This part I don't understand, but we will keep going with the rest.
The strike being A,B,C, and the surface condithion being 1,2, 3. The 65 would I am sure have to be the grade, remember you can have two coins both graded the same but one may have a better strike on one side that the other, so I have to presume that this is how they showed how each coin graded.
So the coin in the picture would be A Strike= full, and 2 surface= brilliant. and 65c is the grade. That is the only way it would make sense.

Now your coin #A2-64C would be A= Full Strike and 2 surface= brilliant an it would be a grade 64C I have no idea what the C stands for.
Your next coin A3-64C A=Full Strike and 3 = cleaned. Remember this is how I am understanding it from reading the pictures.
If this is not your coin, maybe you can send a picture and I will see where I can go from there.

Accugrade was the first grading company to put a coin in a plastic holder in 1984, and opened the door to all the other grading companies who came after them.
In the picture you see below this is their first type of slabbed coin, this kind had a coin and a picture of the coin beside it.
I hope I have not made this to confusing but this is how I see it.
All the best
Alan

ImageImage
Take a look what's new in the world of samples slabs
http://samplecoinslabs.com/index.html/2 ... from-pcgs/

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Good answer Alan! It sounds liek another interesting article for your website widegrin

pahwa
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by pahwa »

Man Alan, thanks for the info. I don't think anyone could have answered that question any better then you just did.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

dtwigg
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by dtwigg »

Coin Wizz,

Thanks so much for the information. I actually just got an Accugrade coin today, so I saw the number and letter system. One more question. Does anyone know if they used the same 70 point scale? In other words, is a 64C like an MS64? I think C means Commercial because on the back after the grade, it says (on this coin) A2-63C=Commercial grade. Must mean it is a commercially available coin I guess, unless someoone else has an opinion.
Thanks Again,

Denny Twigg

dtwigg
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by dtwigg »

Alan,

I must have one of the original slabs because mine does have a picture. I believe the other 2 I bought yesterday had a picture as well. Maybe I got lucky?

Denny Twigg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

If the C stands for commercial then it might mena the same as a business or circulation strike.

acan451
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by acan451 »

Hi Denny
It looks like you found some of the original Accugrade they used the coin and picture from 1984 till 1986, then they stopped using the picture and made the slabs much smaller. There was a set of books published in volume 1,2 and 3. 500-600 page reference books, called The Accugrade System by Alan Hager. (Founder of Accugrade)
I have read a lot of old posts from several years back, and I can tell you people did not like Accugrade, collectors did not believe the grads were correct and would not buy them. There was a lot of bad things being said about there grading skills. That should give you a good idea as fare as the 70 point scale

So the holders would be of value to slab collectors, and even then I have no idea what they are worth.
The coin inside will also determine the value. This is a very hard subject to research

You do have Gold coins in them so if anything that is a very good thing.
May I ask you what you paid for the each slab. if not no problem, I am just curious. as I collect sample slabs where others collect slabs in general.
Any other questions just ask, now I think they are a very cool slab to own, would I buy an Accugrade slab, if it was not expencive yes they still hold a part of the whole numismatic history in them. Like I said slab collectors just love these types of things as fare as I know.
Enjoy your new slabs and hang on to them for a wile, see how things go, or just keep them they are very interesting slabbed coins to own.
When ever you can ask a member here for help before you buy a coin they a real good guys and gals and always helpfull
Hope I have been of some help
All the best
Alan
Take a look what's new in the world of samples slabs
http://samplecoinslabs.com/index.html/2 ... from-pcgs/