JFK half dollars

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Zup_99
Coining Around

JFK half dollars

#1 Unread post by Zup_99 »

I am new to coin roll hunting. And I am wondering if I should collect a whole roll of BU coins of every year and mint of the JFK half dollar? Is that just a waste of my resources or is there any value in doing that?

Thank you

Rory

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: JFK half dollars

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello and Welcome . I don't collect them in rolls but rather seek 1964's ( 90% silver ) and the special strikes like this 2017 Enhanced Reverse proof ( SP70 grade) . Happy Hunting !!
Attachments
2017S Enhanced Reverse Proof-tile.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Z, welcome. I kind of don't understand. Are you looking to save the rolls and sell them at some point, or are you actually going to search them. If you are going to roll search, I would suggest quarter rolls from the bank, and look for state Q's errors. There are enough of them to earn some xtra cash on the side. You take that extra cash and buy more rolls, soon you will be the lord of the rolls, and have a roll empire, yes riches, fame, glory, power muahahah muahaha. Oh sorry got a bit carried away.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Zup_99
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Zup_99 »

Lol thank you for getting a little carried away! I do like hunting Q’s but still figuring out what to hunt with in the Q world. But back to half dollars. I was thinking of collecting and then selling four rolls of BU all years and all mints. Is that not a good idea is there any money there? Or am I wasting my time and money?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Z, if you are going to buy them from the mint, you would have to hold them a couple of years to get value for them, maybe. If you put them together, and sell them, they would be searched, and not have as much value. The value is in "unsearched", a lot of sellers are representing searched rolls as unsearched, of course they receive the scorn of all serious collectors/dealers. I know sometimes Daniel runs across "unsearched" at times, but even he will tell you he cannot guarantee they were not searched before he got them, the same is true of CoinOpp.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Short answer: Forget it
Detailed answer from experience:

My Grandfather got me into coin collecting in the late 60s. His goal was to always put away one BU roll of pennies through half dollars (and Ikes when they came out) from every year and mint made for circulation.

I inherited them after his passing (and I still sorely miss him). I found after all those years I had a bunch of BU rolls of older coins worth less than when he put them away. Sel on eBay? eBay fees would eat, if not all the profits, then enough to mean I spent all that time to take/post pics etc. to make 50¢.

So many coins from these years were made that premiums did not exist. All except the roll of '68 and roll of '69 40% halves were worth much less from dollar value devaluation. What was 10.00 buying value in 1970 became 1.99 buying value in 2005 when I inherited them (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/).

So when I was roll searching halves some years ago, I used the ones in the rolls to replace silver, DDO, DDR, RPM, and errors I would find. The "keeper" halves in my set had already been chosen from the rolls as the best ones.

I have seen on forums where people say its very uncommon that anything over an MS63 coin will be found in circulation (barring you stumble onto someone's collection that had been dumped." All the rolls I had showed this to be true.

Too bad we did not have a crystal ball to see the money back then would have been better to spend on silver and put THAT ways instead.

If you do decide to roll search Halves, I have a detailed "cheat sheet" I made telling what to look for. Let me know if interested and I will share it. It includes things like the No FGs, the years known for clashed dies, better DDOs, rotated dies etc.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Zup_99
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Zup_99 »

Thank you so much for your knowledge. I would really appreciate it if you were to share the things to search for.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sure thing. Download it from here:
Kennedy 50¢ Roll Searching Cheat Sheet

Other Kennedy Varieties

The second is included just to let you see a pictures of the 1994 unofficial "Molting Eagle" with spikes on t JFKs nose and cuds on the REV below and on the Eagles tailfeathers.

Note "molting Eagle" is my OWN nickname from my OWN notes (to make it fit the spreadsheet better) and not used/know by others anywhere, anytime, anyplace, anyhow. So if you use it...no one will know what you are talking about until you show them :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sure thing. Download it from here:
Kennedy 50¢ Roll Searching Cheat Sheet

Other Kennedy Varieties

The second is included just to let you see a pictures of the 1994 unofficial "Molting Eagle" with spikes on JFKs nose and cuds on the REV below and on the Eagles tailfeathers.

I have not figured out the spikes b/c they do not line up with what a clashed die would show???? I also found one or two without the spikes.

Note "molting Eagle" is my OWN nickname from my OWN notes (to make it fit the spreadsheet better) and not used/know by others anywhere, anytime, anyplace, anyhow. So if you use it...no one will know what you are talking about until you show them :)

Brian Hagler
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by Brian Hagler »

I guess ask yourself, what is your longtime goal?
If it's to flip in the near future or do you want to collect for the fun and thrill and or passing the hobby to someone? Really it's personal preference, in my opinion.
Member of CONECA

“Love will demand suffering”