New Collector

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CRM
Coining Around

New Collector

#1 Unread post by CRM »

Hello Everyone….

I just joined this site today and I started collecting coins 2 weeks ago focusing on US Quarters and attempting to educate myself on Error Coins and Rare Coins.

Week 1:
I purchased 4 rolls of quarters from my bank and to my surprise all 4 rolls had a "P Mint American Samoa National Park Samoan Fruit Bat Quarter" showing on each end of the roll. I did not unroll the 4 and placed them in storage.
I went back to the bank 30 minutes later and purchased 7 rolls of quarters and 3 rolls also had a "P Mint American Samoa National Park Samoan Fruit Bat Quarter" showing on each end of the roll. I did not unroll the 3 and placed them in storage.
After going through the 4 remaining rolls, I discovered a 2008 Hawaii State Quarter that has a copper like reflection and a few that appear to be Error Coins to my novice eye.
I started to segregate the quarters by year and then error/year.

Week 2:
I purchased 10 rolls of quarters and discovered a couple of State Quarters with the copper like reflection, along with what appears to be a few Error Coins.

I have not finished going through the 10 rolls purchased.

I would like some guidance on how to properly segregate and store my quarters. Any guidance is truly appreciated.

I would like advise on how I can determine the value of the coins I think are Error Coins. Can anyone provide guidance on what websites I can post photos where the senior level collectors could help me determine if the coins are possibly worth more than face value? Also, if the coins are possibly valuable, what are the proper steps to follow for verification or certification?

If you can, please Advise The New Collector…..

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Collector

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The fruit bat coin is not more rare and is not going to be worth more because of Covid 19. Sounds like you're doing fine with segregating just don't buy into the hype on modern coins.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: New Collector

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Keep in mind.....
That "Error" coins are considered 'Rare' for a reason. That reason being....... there is not a great number of them to be found in collectible condition. Yes, they still exist in circulation, but finding one in a condition worth keeping that will have any premium attached, is very difficult to achieve = Rare.

If you do come across something and have questions, there are few of us here that have been doing this for a very long time… And the reason were here is to help new collectors such as yourself, avoid the pitfalls and scammers that will try to bleed you dry.

:eureka:
I would recommend that you become familiar with how to post on this site… By searching previous posts, and looking up information provided here on how to ask questions, as well as load images into your posts.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep