How many MD coins does it take to achieve a variety?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Rarefinder
Coining Around

How many MD coins does it take to achieve a variety?

#1 Unread post by Rarefinder »

Hello to the Forum, and hello to Daniel I've seen a bunch of your videos keep up the good work.

I am just starting to curate a collection of mine and my father's "Cherry Plucked from change" over 10 to 15 years. It's already taken me about 3 months almost every coin has something

, I'm collecting for fun and beauty/art of the coins, I like to say I collect Errors, Varieties, Rarities and Oddities...... seems like all of the information I thought I knew about coin collecting was backwards. I could say so much more however my question:

How many coins that exhibits what's perceived as machine doubling does it take to become a variety?
I just came across a 1997 P Quarter in very nice condition except for the scratch on the back, and I found this forum because back in 2010 there was a post about a similar coin, that coin was deemed machine doubling nothing more. What is the likelihood of machine doubling happening repetitively?

This coin does have a very nice strong strike and in the photograph I just took it looks like it may be a spitting eagle
Attachments
DDO?
DDO?
1997 P US Quarter obverse
1997 P US Quarter obverse
1997 P US Quarter reverse, spitting eagle?
1997 P US Quarter reverse, spitting eagle?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: How many MD coins does it take to achieve a variety?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

Please look up the definition of "Variety"..........
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

A an error is unique and strike doubling is damaged even though it is a technically an error, but no premium or collector interest. A variety can never be an error or MD, doesn't work like that. Error-ref.com is a great site to read all the way through like a book.

Rarefinder
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Rarefinder »

Thank you , for the input and the suggestion, I'm probably never going to agree with the certain things but that's just the way I am however I am very happy to know that I have one of two identical quarters at least known to me. and that's why I'm doing it for fun Athena maybe I'll have a cool to pass on to my nephew's. OK on to the next coin

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

You must learn the difference between a coin that is a minor error machine damage and a die variety. If you don't know there's a difference then you're not disagreeing with me but all the experts that have studied this, toured the mint and wrote the book based off actual mint records, letters and official reports. Doesn't matter if you have two you think is alike MD has nothing to do with a change in the die design like a doubled die is, it's something going wrong with the striking of the coin.