Doubled die confusion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Ireallydigcoins
Coining Around

Doubled die confusion

#1 Unread post by Ireallydigcoins »

Hello. My name is Michael and I JUST joined. (GREAT site!!....and thank you in advance for ALL that you do and ALL of your knowledge....Not "kissing up". Just being sincere😊). Anyway, if this is the wrong place for this, I apologize. I spend most of my free time looking through coins for errors and just plain cool looking coins. I have ammassed quite a collection. MANY of them not on ANY of the main sites. I don't collect for the monetary value (LOL.."The monetary value of money"...lol...would that be a pun or something like a ?...lol....I don't know🤔...just funny sounding🙄😁....sorry....back on track)My point is that I don't do it (ha..ha...I don't "collect coins") for the purpose of selling them (although if I DID find a 150,000 dollar penny, I'm pretty sure that would QUICKLY change..lol). I just TRULY enjoy hunting for, looking at, and finding errors and cool looking coins. I think it's similar to finding hidden, buried and/or sunken treasure.....even if some of them are "JUST" a penny😁.
Now to my question(s)....and I ask that you go to doubleddie.com (another great site) and go to 1992-D 1c WDDO-001.It states that there is STRONG THICKNESS and I see that there is thickness but my question is those OUTLINES on the 199, the BE and the TR. I often see those "outlines". Do THOSE always mean that THAT coin is a doubled die?
Also......if letters and/or numbers are thick but I see NO split serifs and NO notches, are THOSE coins also doubled dies?
And last but not least....If I see letters and/or numbers that are "distorted" and/or deformed, does THAT mean that coin is a doubled die.
WHEW!!
Apologies for "rambling" on but I mean EVERY word and when I don't know something🤔......I ask😁.
I want to thank you (again) in advance for (hopefully...lol) answering all of my questions.
Last thing. I also want to APOLOGIZE in advance because I am EXTREMELY sarcastic at times and might "come across" as being somewhat beligerant and confrontational.....which I am neither.
I just wanna let you know, I mean no offense.....well🙄......maybe a little...lol.
But seriously.......Just having fun.
After all....That *IS* what this is supposed to be......"FUN".......right??🤔😉😁😀😀😀😀
Very.......VERY sincerely,
Michael😊

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Doubled die confusion

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the group!

As far as outlines on coins that would be plating issue and die wear but not a doubled die.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

Gosh, it's hard to know where to start. If your going to be jumping right into it, without learning the basics, you'll need to learn all of the
"different forms" of die doubling... The 'classes', as they are called.

:eureka:
I'm sure if you search the Internet, for "Doubled Die Classes" you will find what you are looking for.

In regards to your question about "notching", look up class III doubling. Design Hub Doubling.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome to the forum.
And the site you reference, DoubleDie.com http://doubleddie.com/58222.html , has some great info on classes of doubling.

The outlines you are the result of what Daniel mentioned. (Not true die doubling.)
Thickness can be caused by multiple issues that are not the result of the die being doubled. Mechanical doubling (MD) and die deterioration are some other reasons for non-valuable thickness or distortion.