intro duction

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
wlcoleman1
Coining Around

intro duction

#1 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

hi folks. my name is Bill. im from iowa. i began collecting coins in the cub scouts in 1969. we lived in england. i still have a few of those coins but most have been lost in moving and a home fire of which im beginning to find some of those coins around the burn site. i now have a small collection and have been passing my doubles to my grand children.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: intro duction

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the lost and damaged coins.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

wlcoleman1
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

thank you Daniel, howdy Palh1. i was just digging in the yard today hoping to find... something. i didn't.
i was in town earlier a received a 198? cud. I've never seen one up close. lol. i always look at my change and when i saw it i quickly closed my hand and high tailed it to my buick drove a couple blocks then slowly opwned my hand.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome Bill and congratulations on the cud.
Any chance you can post an image so we can all enjoy your find?

wlcoleman1
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

1539777920419642934312.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

This is solder and damage that happened after mint but is not a mint error and no extra value.

wlcoleman1
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

1539779436052147220266.jpg
living in the least populated county in Iowa is not conducive to internet speed.

wlcoleman1
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

This is solder and damage that happened after mint but is not a mint error and no extra value.
lol how do you think tbe solder got on it? had to have been applied in circulation. Daniel, evidently you have seen similar coins. is this then a ploy to cheat folks? I saw on ebay some fellow had coins with chunks taken out kind of like a cookie cut at the end of a gripe. Dont know how many but it eas alot and I've never seen one.

wlcoleman1
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by wlcoleman1 »

the triangle addition on the obverse is equal to the metal missing on the reverse. How or with what do the use to do this?

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

..... using the images you provided ....
i hugeeyes what appears as the outline of a raised "RIM" under the 'metal' on the surface,....

:eureka:
"CUDS" will not show these
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Someone put the solder on the coin before it was in the ground. I have seen coins like this and people play with coins a lot, some to fool people others just because they can. I do know this is NOT a CUD or mint error.

If anything a fire could possibly cause this damage as well.