Real of Fake Draped Bust Dollars

Tell us a little about yourself or what and why you collect. You can post question here also.

Moderator: Daniel

JasonWarner
Coining Around

Real of Fake Draped Bust Dollars

#1 Unread post by JasonWarner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 am

Jason in Louisiana, New to coin collecting. Have a rather larger collection passed down to me and I am trying to sort through to see just what I have. My first post ever on web. Would just like a quick opinion about some old silver dollars. I have been reading several sights and i have just about come to the conclusion that I have a large likely fake set of 1745-1802 Bust 1 dollar coins. Anyone have an opinion what to do next? Thoughts of any type? Figure RI can find a local coin dealer, maybe, and ask the same. Thanks for reading my first post
Attachments
heads.jpg
tails.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Real of Fake Draped Bust Dollars

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 am

Welcome to the forum and you're correct all of these coins are counterfeit.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 am

Welcome to the forum and sorry about the results of your collection. Daniel really knows his "stuff".

So many times beginners to collecting aren't able to make that determination, so kudos to you for putting in some research time. Really good first post and congratulations on being able to determine ahead of time about your coins.

thanks and please post more as we love to see what others have to share. It helps us all learn.

Out of curiosity, what is the weight, in grams, of one of the Bust 1$ coins.

I had a friend who came to me last spring with 10 Carson City Morgans that I was able to tell were fake by the letters and repeating markers on the coins. When I got a chance to weigh them for him, they were all only 18 -19 grams (When they should have been closer to 26-27 grams.) Someone else said they were probably magnesium because the color, thickness and diameter of the coins were on target.

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer
Master Die Variety Attributer

#4 Unread post by PALH1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21 am

:welcome:

:eureka:
if coin "collecting" is going to be a venture of yours,.....
i would recommend a 'SCALE', 'CALIPERS', & a decent 'MAGNET' to get started... JMO
Attachments
tec 1.JPG