Hello, new to the site.

Tell us a little about yourself or what and why you collect. You can post question here also.

Moderator: Daniel

billohio
Coining Around

Hello, new to the site.

#1 Unread post by billohio » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 am

I'm a long time collector...40+ years. Have recently been drawn to a US Lowball Registry Set. Does anyone else share my interest in these poor, neglected coins?
Attachments
s-l200.jpg
s-l200.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 357 times

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer
Master Die Variety Attributer

Re: Hello, new to the site.

#2 Unread post by PALH1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am

:welcome:

i try to chase UNC1 EDS2 VARS3,....but that's just me.

1. UN-CIRCULATED
2. EARLY DIE STATE
3. VARIETIES

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Welcome!
I admire your tenacity for collecting so long. Haven't heard of that registry before but it sounds like they could be obtainable if it includes the one you posted.
I started about 50 years ago but took a 40 year hiatus and returned in 2013. Varieties and mint errors hold my interest, mostly on Lincoln's.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 am

I've seen a few who went for these low grade key coins. Unusual contest, indeed. What strikes me the most with it is how expensive some of these low grade coins are. I guess they are hard to find in those grades.

I'm like Cliff... been collecting a long time, but took a long time off. I was re-awakened to collecting when I came across an 1877 IHC while metal detecting. I've pretty much given up the metal detecting, but found I like the really old coins (ancients) and both Civil War and Revolutionary War periods. The study of Ancients has given me the ability to identify almost anything, but hasn't helped much with my ability to grade coins.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. I like coins in all grades. I don't discriminate. I have been at it all my life was raised up in the business.