2003D Jefferson nickel Mint Error?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Tooboocoo
Coining Around

2003D Jefferson nickel Mint Error?

#1 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

[attachment=1]IMG_20170724_162640.jpg[/attachment]Hello everyone I'm new here and look forward to sharing some good coins I hope and looking forwards to learning what the experts have to say about my coining skills and everyone else as well so I've been looking at coins about ten years now and I decided if I want to make any money at this I better expand my knowledge and get second opinions thank you and let's get started ,first coin ID like everyone's opinion on is my 2003D Jefferson nickel error
Attachments
IMG_20170724_162640.jpg
IMG_20170724_162624.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2003D Jefferson nickel

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavors in the error world. It is a world full of misinformation and greed. My first round of advice is to think of every coin as if it wasn't an error, but different, then investigate how it could have happened. To do this then you must first understand the coin minting process and read and read and ask questions, some of us of this forum have been at it all our lives and can help you.

I recommend Alan Herbert's Price Guide to Mint Errors since it's extensive in scope on the minting varieties and you can find this book at Amazon or eBay.

On to your coin... alas it is not a mint error but damaged. It appears someone placed another coin on top and this was hammered onto the coin.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome to the forum.
Daniel nailed it of course. Notice how the devices (words) on the top-most impression are reversed?
It wouldn't look like this if the coin was struck twice.

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

I don't see someone placing another coin on top of another one and manage to reproduce the images in its proper raised format it seems to me if someone were to try this it should have results of a sunken image not raised and I know it's only one coin by weight,5 grams,I agree that united States of America and five cents is embedded into the other images,the two ,three or four Monticello's that I'm looking at,I know I'm new here but can you explain how the other images are raised multiple times? It seems to me it would almost be impossible to strike another coin with a hammer or whatever and be able to keep them together and aligned to create a mirror or duplicate of any image thank you maybe look at it again and see if my questions and observation are right if I'm totally wrong I might consider another hobby,after ten or more years of coin hunting I would hate to think I've been wrong about all my coins again thank you and awaiting a response

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:39 am Welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavors in the error world. It is a world full of misinformation and greed. My first round of advice is to think of every coin as if it wasn't an error, but different, then investigate how it could have happened. To do this then you must first understand the coin minting process and read and read and ask questions, some of us of this forum have been at it all our lives and can help you.

I recommend Alan Herbert's Price Guide to Mint Errors since it's extensive in scope on the minting varieties and you can find this book at Amazon or eBay.

On to your coin... alas it is not a mint error but damaged. It appears someone placed another coin on top and this was hammered onto the coin.
:agree: 100% D
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

You can't mix up the actual strike with what someone did after it left the mint. It was, at one time, a normal nickel struck at the mint, but sometime between now and then someone messed with it and damaged the coin trying to create a fake mint error. I see it all the time. You can use a vice or sledgehammer to create coins that look like this.

It doesn't mean all your coins are damaged. So post as many as you like.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 2003D Jefferson nickel Mint Error?

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Sorry but Daniel is right and all I can add with my limited knowledge is that the letters wouldn't be reversed.

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

Can someone please explain no.1 if somebody were to press two coins together with a vice how could either image be stamped in the proper direction such as the three or so Monticello's that are shown and no.2 would the images that were pressed not be imprinted not raised such as Monticello all of them I do see the reverse image of states of America in reverse, this is what I would expect all the images to look like,then at the bottom of the coin I see it raised and printed in the right direction, I'm not exactly new to looking for oddities on coinage, just new to looking for advice and opinions and appreciate every body's input and I want to make sure I understand fully and hope I get answers I can understand 100% I thought I asked myself all the how could it have happend, before joining and submitting this coin so I guess I'm looking for a logical answer because to me everything on the coin is stamped in the right raised format and lettrering seem to be in proper direction as well is it possible it could be a rarity?? Thank all of you and please help me, I can send more images if you like ,and the coin only weighs 5 grams as well thanks again

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

One other thing I'd like to know about is why is the coin flat on one side and wavy on the other are you saying this is also something that can be accomplished by squeezing two coins together in a vice or hitting with a hammer I'm having difficulty in understanding what you people are looking at and not seeing I really confused about the vice and hammer theory

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

I also see Jeffersons face stacked up behind the front image I don't know how many times

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Hi Tooboocoo. Bear with me as I"m trying to understand your questions.
First let me say I can't see Jeffersons face in these images once (let alone multiple times) or if the devices you are mentioning are raised or recessed. All I can tell is that the second impression on the reverse has STATES in reverse. As far as the building goes, the right side is almost a mirror image of the left side so how can we tell if it is orientated properly or reversed?
What I am going to suggest may sound odd but try taking two or three nickels and try to simulate this coin by hitting it with a sledge hammer on an anvil or ball hitch on a truck. (I use mine to straighten bent metal from time to time).
I am a rank amateur compared to Daniel and Pahl1. They know their coins, mint procedures and possibilities.
I do look forward to your other coins. Cliff
Last edited by PetesPockets55 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I didn't mention a vice, but a hammer and another coin. Two dies hitting this coin would not allow it to be wavy or raised, the space would be even tighter than in between a vice. This coin was worked on outside the mint and is most certainly damaged if that is still in question.

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

Im still trying to figure out how ,if I hammers two coins together ,would I wind up with the same image such as Monticello imprinted the same direction,the same side of the coin plus the opposite side as well both forwards and backwards I know seems impossible and I almost agree I would be more than willing to ship it to somebody to investigate,but I'm still having trouble with the hammer and another coin ,and Jefferson if you sit the coin like it belongs with the date to the right if you follow the outline where Jefferson should be you will see if you make the image big enough you will see that he appears to show numerous times it is tough to see but I swear it's there ,

Tooboocoo
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Tooboocoo »

And again thank you for your input

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#15 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Tooboocoo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 am ......... how ........... would I wind up with the same image such as Monticello imprinted the same direction,the same side of the coin plus the opposite side as well both forwards and backwards ..........
A person just takes two coins (3? 4?), places them together and hammers away. One coin falls out. Put them together again and hammer away. Coin falls out, put them together again, ad infinitum. I will say the side with Jeffersons bust was on the outside which took most of the force of the blows against the stationary surface or hammer and is probably why it has the most damage.
Daniel and PAHL1 have been collecting and studying coins and the US minting techniques used to produce coins for 30 years or more. They do know what is a possible mint error and what is intentional damage or mischief (by whoever owned the coin before you). Pahl1 also has an additional advantage of having worked with industrial metal fabrication working in design and production I believe. The depth of knowledge they bring to this hobby and share with the rest of us is astounding. They are much more selective with their questions than myself because it helps them narrow down a possible answer.
Unfortunately most of the time that answer is: damage, either accidental or intentional.
Thank you for your posts and please include images of the front and reverse to help us.