Are the columns doubled on this Lincoln Cent

Tell us a little about yourself or what and why you collect. You can post question here also.

Moderator: Daniel

nicho16
Coining Around

Are the columns doubled on this Lincoln Cent

#1 Unread post by nicho16 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:50 am

New to this site and collecting. I can finaly tell the difference between a true doubling and a mechanical (for the most part anyway). Was very frustrating the first few months when i was sure several times that I must be the greatist coin collector of all time considering the number of valuable coins I had found only to find out how wrong I was. Was going to give up but then I did find a true doubled die and now Im hooked.

I want to share an interesting penny I found. I doubt it has any real value but it is by far my favorite find.

My question can I post a photo of it from my iphone, if so how?

Im going to give it a try now so if it works disregard these last couple sentences
Attachments
IMG_4087.PNG
I call it Lincoln hanging ten

nicho16
Coining Around

Re: one more try

#2 Unread post by nicho16 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 am

Wanted to add to that first post. That penny is a 1997 D and it does have allot of mechanical doubling but some true doubled die also, I think (tough call for me on this one).

So my question is...does anyone thinkthis is worth having graded???

and heres another photo
Attachments
IMG_4091.PNG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:15 am

Ok, I don't want to frustrate you but I can only help you by giving you the facts. First, we always need images of the entire coin, front and back. Second, doubled dies are 99% ID'd based on known die markers so a website like coppercoins.com die variety search is a must. Third, this is not a doubled die but plating bubbles.

A doubled die is a coin struck by a die which is doubled and there must be a doubled image on the coin, but not raised areas going across the design. Here's images of what a doubled die looks like. http://coinauctionshelp.com/doubledieminterror.html

Don't give up!

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer
Master Die Variety Attributer

#4 Unread post by PALH1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 am

are you looking at the 'doubling', or what looks like 'doubling',....around (inside) the memorial columns ?? .... plz
whistling2:

nicho16
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by nicho16 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Sorry for not being clear in my post and thank you for replying. I realize this isnt doubled. I was just saying I really like this coin ecause it looks like Lincoln is riding a wave. Just strikes me as funny.

I will send pictures of the entire coin and thank you for the info about that. Question: Do error coins that resemble some theme for example (maybe a bad one), Lincoln riding a wave, have any market value.

I am getting better about identifying true doubling but I admit I still have some trouble. I do have a DD coin I would like some opinions on but I dont think this is the right forum.

thanks again for replying
Attachments
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
IMG_4144.JPG
IMG_4147.PNG

nicho16
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by nicho16 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 pm

and come on guys you have to admit it does look like Lincoln on a surf board....

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I don't understand what you mean "this is not the right forum". It is just as "right" as any forum on that subject.

nicho16
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by nicho16 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 am

Ok, thanks. I thought this forum was kinda of a new guy question forum but if not then ....another question.

I like this coin. Its in good shape. There is some good doubling particularly the E in UNITED but also most of LIBERTY is doubled. Does anyone think this coin is worth sending off to be graded.

thanks
Attachments
IMG_4160.PNG
IMG_4161.PNG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4164.PNG

nicho16
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by nicho16 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 am

one more picture

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:00 am

I think you over-looked my first comments on this subject and images I sent. When you think you have ID'd any variety like a doubled die 99% of the time the die markers will be known and cataloged. If not then it is a knew variety that must be sent to a CONECA or recognized expert so it can be cataloged.

A true doubled feature will be the exact size and shape as the "original" feature on your coin the supposed doubled E is not, it is a plating bubble that is almost the shape of the E's center bar. As you can see it is fatter and and at an angle. The images are not good enough to see the LIBERTY so can't comment much without better images.