New to the Forum

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
chiefmot
Coining Around

New to the Forum

#1 Unread post by chiefmot »

Hi. New to the forum but been collecting for 45 years. I came across an coin I believe is a pattern coin. Unfortunately it is in pretty bad shape. It resembles the reverse of the gold 1834-1907 quarter eagle. The difference is the denomination is written as 2.50 vice 2 1/2 D. The base metal appears to be brass. It is 19.1 mm in diameter and .7 mm thick. The opposite side is blank and it is slightly off centered. Has anyone come across anything similar or know where I might go to have it examined. Thanks.
Last edited by chiefmot on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to the Forum

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It sounds like a fantasy piece. Can you post an image?

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome.
Without images we won't be able to be any help. Really need images.

chiefmot
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by chiefmot »

I have images, I'll post. They aren't the best as I said the coin was with others and not kept very well. I'll post shortly.

chiefmot
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by chiefmot »

Coin1a copy.jpg
Coin3a.jpg
Coin4a.jpg
Coin7a.jpg

I have more but they aren't much better.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

This is an extremely corroded US Cent and one could find any shapes on the surface of this coin but no positive ID of the coin can be made. It is definitely not a restrike nor a pattern. It is in Basal state.

chiefmot
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by chiefmot »

I've looked at it under a microscope, it's not a US cent. The items I pointed out are distinctive under magnification. The wing tip and arrows as well as the 2.50 are definite. Pictures don't show the details very well. I understand it is in bad shape but it's easier to see the shape under magnification. I don't know of a cent or half cent that has the wing tip in the position before the AMERICA or one that has 2.50. Thanks.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Nice job labeling the images BTW.
Would brass corrode like that? Could it be copper with that much corrosion?
Is that TED (as in UNITED) to the left of the Eagle you have labeled?
ps. To enlarge images on the screen press the control button and the + button. I was able to get the OP images up to 300% to see some of the devices he is mentioning. Well done on the images.
Last edited by PetesPockets55 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Any images of the other side?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

I apologize. I was heading to bed and saw the 19mm and just scanned over the images before heading to bed. I see the objects you pointed out and while it is the same size as a cent I was wrong to be so hasty. We see so many people posting that see something that is not there or make up stuff that I had a brief cynical moment.

With that out of the way I don't know of any coin Pattern, Colonial or regular issue with $2.50 on the coin. No world coin either. So that leaves one thing and that is a private token or store card of some sort.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I didn't think tokens or private mints could put UNITED STATES OF AMERICA on their items.
Which makes me wonder if it could be a pattern?
I wonder how to find out if the eagle is similar to other styles/types used in the past, either here or abroad. This might help place a timeline on it.
Maybe Cheifmot can do an oversized rough sketch of the details that he can make out to help with an ID?
Or even a rubbing over the surface. (I've heard this works well for tombstones)
Just throwing some ideas around! :confused:

chiefmot
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by chiefmot »

Hi all, thanks for all the input. I can't believe it's been 2 years since I put this inquiry up...time flies when you're having fun. I've been to several shows in the DFW area and still have not identified this coin. I hear counterfeit a lot or private token as Daniel had suggested. I talked to the historian at the Mint in DC but he wasn't aware of any pattern coins that used 2.50 vice 2 1/2. I got curious enough and had a professional clean it up a bit...I know, I know never do that, but you know what they say about curiosity.

Anyway I have some better pictures here just so you can see the patterns better. The eagle looks more like a turkey. There is nothing on the back side that I could discern. Enjoy.

By the way Daniel I appreciate the effort you put into this website. I've used the grading system numerous times over the past 2 years.
Attachments
A.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks for the follow up.
That "Eagle" looks like some examples that can be seen on some early US coins.

I did find images for an early 1 cent Mass. coin from 1878 that was similar with the arrows in his left claw (most $2.50 denominations have them in his right claw)
Early American - Post-Declaration 1787 ARROWS LEFT CLAW MASSACHUSETTS 1C MS .

I did discover online that the first time the US put the denomination on a coin was the 1807 Half Eagle (5 Dol.).
The 1808 Quarter eagle does show a group of 3 arrows in his left claw similar to yours.

You might try inquiring at the Coin Community forum in their "US Classic and Colonial Coins" CCF- US Classic and Colonial LINK to see if anyone there might be able to help figure this out. Someone there might have experience to figure out an answer or point you in the right direction.

Keep us posted if you get this solved. I for one like a good mystery .... solved!!