New to the forums but here to stay.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
j_a/forever
Coining Around

New to the forums but here to stay.

#1 Unread post by j_a/forever »

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read/help me in this post.
To start my name is jeremiah and obviously I love to collect coins since I am paying this on this website :).
But the thing is I have been collecting coins for quite some time now at least it feels like it had been some time to me lol. Any who I am Fairley new to the error coin area, over the time I've been collecting I have acquired many many silver coins, the older sort of coins, all the way from barber and walking liberty quarters/ benjamin and Kennedy half dollars/mercury dimes and so on for each denomination all the way up to what I think are some pretty good valuable error coins. But this is when the problem comes in I am a cashier so I come across large large amounts of coins daily I have such a big amount of coins I need to go through just to look at under magnification just to be able to confirm that they are in fact a error coin.

Basically what I am posting this for is I am requesting that someone, anyone that is familiar with error coins and could throw some suggestions to me or tips/advice.? Maybe recommended magnifying tools, the most valuable state error coins or lincoln cents.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this post and I'm open to anything anyone has to say or offer.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to the forums but here to stay.

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I recommend that you read a book on mint errors and here's the book I recommend and you can buy it here http://amzn.to/2fBjzKG

It is well worth the price and will save you a bunch of time and disappointment.
Attachments
ErrorBook.jpg

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by j_a/forever »

Thank you. I will look into getting the book here soon o actually already have "the official red book" in route to be delivered to me right now. Would you have any suggestions for magnifying tools to help you find our maybe easier spot a double die?

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by j_a/forever »

Daniel wrote:I recommend that you read a book on mint errors and here's the book I recommend and you can buy it here http://amzn.to/2fBjzKG

It is well worth the price and will save you a bunch of time and disappointment.

Thank you. I will look into getting the book here soon o actually already have "the official red book" in route to be delivered to me right now. Would you have any suggestions for magnifying tools to help you find our maybe easier spot a double die?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I use a triplet loupe and here's the link http://amzn.to/2gM5Aa0

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by j_a/forever »

Daniel wrote:I use a triplet loupe and here's the link http://amzn.to/2gM5Aa0
What magnification x do you have? Also how do you go about getting the perfect picture of coins that you may come across that are in fact true error coins. As in if you had a 1964-d rosevelt dime DDR, (which I have) but my magnification tool I use isn't quite good enough to 100% verify that it isn't machine doubling.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I use 10x. If you can't see it with 5 to 10x then it's not significant. Most doubled dies are not significant and are only worth a small premium. Look at CONECA's variety vista.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#8 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by mhonzell »

Howdy and welcome!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by j_a/forever »

mhonzell wrote:Howdy and welcome!
Hello and thank you for the welcome. Ik this post is old but how do I go about making a new post it seems or is not allowing me to create a"new topic"

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Send me a PM if you still can't post new topic.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

j_a/forever wrote:Ik this post is old but how do I go about making a new post it seems or is not allowing me to create a"new topic"

I'm a frequent flyer here and I forget how to create a new topic on occasion. It's just too easy to reply to everyone else's comments. But, back to the quote...

Just select any of the Forum topics from the Board Index page, such as "Introduce Yourself" or "General US Coin Forum". If you are logged in, then the New Topic button will be near the top left.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by j_a/forever »

mhonzell wrote:
j_a/forever wrote:Ik this post is old but how do I go about making a new post it seems or is not allowing me to create a"new topic"

I'm a frequent flyer here and I forget how to create a new topic on occasion. It's just too easy to reply to everyone else's comments. But, back to the quote...

Just select any of the Forum topics from the Board Index page, such as "Introduce Yourself" or "General US Coin Forum". If you are logged in, then the New Topic button will be near the top left.
Got it perfect thank you

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

You're welcome

karen.carmichle
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by karen.carmichle »

I have a 1972d quarter dollar could someone tell me anything about it

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by mhonzell »

What do you want to know?
When questions are about a specific coin, we need a picture of both front and back.
It is also best to start a new thread.

Welcome!!!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#17 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31 am I use 10x. If you can't see it with 5 to 10x then it's not significant. Most doubled dies are not significant and are only worth a small premium. Look at CONECA's variety vista.
i have been told by "THEM", that if you can't hugeeyes it clearly under 7X mag,.....then it's too minor !!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep