Im new here and to collecting

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
SMOKINSMO
Coining Around

Im new here and to collecting

#1 Unread post by SMOKINSMO »

I just recently started collecting and i have the bug big time. I have researched and learned so much over the past week my mind is in overdrive, I have been saving change for long time, mostly to only throw it in a coinstar and take the family out to dinner, (to think what i tossed away) anyway, im not doing that anymore, I have one of those big 5 gallon water jugs full of cents and a few of those large pickle jars full of silver, so i have plenty to thumb through and i have been doing this almost every day for the past week or so, frustrating part is soon as i get through a large pile of cents i read about another date i should have been looking for.. so there i go dumping back out the "sorted" coins to go through again, I love the hunt its very exciting, I love the history behind these coins and the variations and errors. I just bought 3 penny/cent books to put the best finds in so im excited about that, ill order a book/folder for every domination once i get through the penny jug, Anyway im from Northern Cincinnati, Ohio, and im happy to be here, thanks for having me

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Im new here and to collecting

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear your enthusiasm and as far as finding dates you didn't know to look for there's several online websites that can help with that. Variety Vista (CONECA) and coppercoins.com to name a couple. Of course, we can help as well. So good luck on your searches!

SMOKINSMO
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by SMOKINSMO »

Daniel wrote:Welcome to the forum! Good to hear your enthusiasm and as far as finding dates you didn't know to look for there's several online websites that can help with that. Variety Vista (CONECA) and coppercoins.com to name a couple. Of course, we can help as well. So good luck on your searches!
thank you very much, and yes over the past week i have found do many sites but the one thing i find very inconstant is the value of the coins each site says, now i will tell you im not interested in selling unless i come across super valuable, but its neat to see the value i also like to bookmark the value today to look back on in a few years and see ho it has fluctuated. Do you recommend a solid site for coin values ?

ametzauto
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by ametzauto »

Welcome, I am in a similar state as yours, I have inherited a large number of coins. This site and these guys have been helping me greatly.
Again welcome and enjoy, I think the learning is endless.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

SMOKINSMO wrote:
Daniel wrote:Welcome to the forum! Good to hear your enthusiasm and as far as finding dates you didn't know to look for there's several online websites that can help with that. Variety Vista (CONECA) and coppercoins.com to name a couple. Of course, we can help as well. So good luck on your searches!
thank you very much, and yes over the past week i have found do many sites but the one thing i find very inconstant is the value of the coins each site says, now i will tell you im not interested in selling unless i come across super valuable, but its neat to see the value i also like to bookmark the value today to look back on in a few years and see ho it has fluctuated. Do you recommend a solid site for coin values ?
Welcome and You have found the site for coin values!
If you go to the top of any page here you will see a tab for "Coin Values" Click on that and then click on "Coin Values" (that appears again). The next page will will have all the US coins listed by denomination (1c, 5c, 10c etc.). click on the denomination you are interested in.
You will need to have an idea of the grade of the coin (but you can find help here also at the top- CoinPhotoGrading!)
Another resource is Ebay where you can do a search to see actual sales and not projected values.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the world of coin values, it is not consistent and most values are for coins already certified and graded. So ebay sold auctions with the sold value in green, is the best indicator of a raw coin's value. You will need to learn to grade and ascertain if a coin has been cleaned or not.