Strange Markings on 1979 S SBA Dollar - Help Please

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Zeker711
Coining Around

Strange Markings on 1979 S SBA Dollar - Help Please

#1 Unread post by Zeker711 »

I recently agreed to assist a friend in disposing of a small lot of coins. I am not a coin collector but am aware of the minor issues which can make a difference in a valuation, and I am trying to be careful spto not give away a coin which may have additional value because of an anomaly. Know anaomlies are easy, but in examining the coins this strange marking has me thinking it is a manufacturing flaw, or minting error.

If you see the photo I managed to take, you see there are three distinct imprints of what I will call side by side "w" marks. Two of them are right nnow drew to the designer initials and one is near a star close to the border. It is as if a hard piece of something got into the die as the striking was occurring. And the wee piece of junk moved and was imprinted as the coin was formed.

My questions are: Is this a known and common thing to happen? Do you agree this could be the case as I described? Or perhaps you might explain how this happened. And lastly, would you guess this bit of an issue does provide some xtra collector value for this coin?

Thank you in advance for any comments, assistance or other advice.

Zeker711

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Strange Markings on 1979 S SBA Dollar - Help Please

#2 Unread post by Paul »

your image did not load
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Zeker711
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Zeker711 »

IMG_2679.JPG

Sorry. All appeared to go well. Let me try again, thank you.

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

from this pic,
these appear to be "PMD CONTACT MARKS" .... IMO
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Zeker711
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Zeker711 »

Thank you for your opinion! And the prompt attention to my query. After double checking the acronym I can say that was my first thought. It was the extreme proximity to the I initials with no apparent damage to them, and the close repetition with no other marks similar on the rest of the surface which got me to thinking perhaps something at time of minting.

My main concern was to be certain this coin wasn't "Special" and in so being deserving of some small premium in value.

Again, thank you! Zeke

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

These are edge reeding contact marks when another coin's reeding struck this coin at an angle; these coins are struck and then drop in to bins at a fast pace and sometimes this will happen. It doesn't add any premium since it's just a contact mark.

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:These are edge reeding contact marks when another coin's reeding struck this coin at an angle; these coins are struck and then drop in to bins at a fast pace and sometimes this will happen. It doesn't add any premium since it's just a contact mark.
:agree:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Zeker711
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Zeker711 »

Thank you both ... I shall move on! Appreciate your able and willing assistance sirs!