german mints

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
carvman
Coining Around

german mints

#1 Unread post by carvman »

hi
why is the g mint marks worth more then most other mint marks sorry im fairly new to collecting.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: german mints

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome

A 'g' mint mark associated with what coin.

A 'g' on a euro is not the same as a 'g' on a nazi coin or a 'g' from the 1700s.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

carvman
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by carvman »

sorry on wieramer coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Maybe you could post a picture of one? Provide a date from the coin?
I'm not recognizing 'wieramer'.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

carvman
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by carvman »

sorry I mean the whimer states right before hitler took over I just noticed that the g mint mark were more valuble is it just that coins were not in need that much during the german depretion or is the mint witch I believe starts with an h is it just small that it only produced small amounts like cc in the usa or westpoint in the usa. thanks again

carvman
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by carvman »

whiemer state in the 1920s I believe the mint starts with an h

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

The 'G' mint mark from Germany during the 1920s was from the Karlsruhe State mint. This mint did make some rather low mintages (compared to today's mintage) and was destroyed temporarily by bombing in 1944. It was rebuilt and is in operation today not only making coins for Germany, but for unique coins for international collectors.

Germany stopped making silver coins for general circulation in 1916. Not too long after the start of WWI.

During the War Era, Germany ran out of metal (like the USA) to make normal coinage. Instead...
In 1917 the copper 1 Pfennig was switched to aluminum and shrunk in size. It was discontinued shortly after that.
The copper 2 Pfennig was discontinued.
The copper-nickel 5 Pfennig was changed to iron in 1915 and continued to be produced until 1922.
The copper-nickel 10 Pfennig was produced in two metals: iron, starting in 1916, and zinc starting in 1917. Both continued to be struck until 1922.
All of these would be short-lived due to their corrosive properties making them rare finds in good shape.

So, moving into the Weimar Republic time...(1919-1922)
Germany's inflation is clearly demonstrated in the Weimar Republic. The aluminum 50 Pfennig was introduced in 1919 to replace the silver 1/2 Mark that had disappeared from circulation due to hoarding. When introduced one could buy about 2 loaves of bread with a 50 Pfennig coin. The 23mm coin was produced until 1922, though by the end 1922 it had lost almost all of its purchasing power. The design featured the denomination on the obverse and a bundle of grain on the reverse. During 1923 Germany suffered from some of the worst inflation the world had ever seen. In order to keep up with rapidly increasing prices, two new high denomination coins were introduced at the beginning of the year, the 200 Mark and 500 Mark. Both coins were struck in aluminum and had similar designs. One side featured the denomination. The other featured the German Eagle. At the beginning of the year the two coins (700 Mark) would buy a loaf of bread. By the end mid November bread cost 80 Billion Mark!

The 50 pfenning was only produced for those three years and at low mintages. That's good!
As to mintage numbers, I looked up the 1919 50 pfenning and found that while Karlsruhe State mint only produced 700,000 50 pfenning pieces, Dresden State mint only produced 900,000.

I don't think the prices of these coins are higher due to low mintage, but that the particular design was only available for a couple of years.

But here is the current pricing:
Good: less than $1 US dollar approximate catalog value
Very Fine: less than $1
About Uncirculated: $2
Mint State: $5
Graded MS by PCGS / NGC: $50 (on eBay)

For 50 pfennig coins in aluminum dated 1919 with a mint mark of D, E, G or J, multiply the above values by two.
Attachments
O.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's a list compiled a few years ago http://coinauctionshelp.com/WorldCoins/ ... int-marks/

carvman
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by carvman »

wow thank u so much for all the info I want to go to Germany some day and see the mints there im sure some u may tour others not but will be cool to see building none the less.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

I too would love to go there to tour Germany... at least once. I've been there a few times, but only seen the inside of the Frankfurt airport.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

carvman
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by carvman »

hi
im sorry I have another ? I a coin here 1917 and it says Stadtyemeiade Hersbruck I was wondering what it is and if there worth anything there from coins I got from my grandfather he was in ww1 and was over there.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

It would be extremely beneficial if you would do two things...

1. Start a new thread for a new coin of discussion.
2. Take a photo of the coin, front and back and post them in the thread.

This really minimizes any confusion.

For instance, in this case, the spelling is important:

It's STADTGEMEINDE (borough, or township of) HERSBRUCK
And, you didn't specify if it's a 5, 10, or 50 pfenning.
With a photo, all that would have been obvious.

In general, these are not worth much, but there are always exceptions. Your grandfather may have had significant sentimental value in them.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

carvman
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by carvman »

thank u ill do better next time

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by mhonzell »

You didn't do anything wrong. I understood enough to answer the question.

I am just hoping that others can follow along because you are probably not the only one to have this question. And, in that light, a little more information would help a lot.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins