Yet another newbie

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
BrianT
Coining Around

Yet another newbie

#1 Unread post by BrianT »

Hi all,

My name is Brian and I'm a collectiholic. (Hi Brian!)

Just kidding.

I found this forum through Coin Collecting Help on FB. I'm in my 6th decade and I've been "keeping" coins for a long time, but I've never been a collector in the true sense of the word. I have my dad's collection that I inherited and he was active from the 50s to 1970. I've made a couple of efforts over the years to try to catalog everything but there's so much that it gets to be a bit overwhelming.

Perhaps my renewed interest due to this forum and the FB group will keep me on track. I have about 40-50 pounds of coins, mostly silver, some pennies and others, and just a couple of gold coins which I really question whether or not they are real, as well as some early paper currency, military script, Asian currency, etc. We lived on Guam for 8 years and he was stationed in Japan during Korea (B-29s blazes From The Heavens) so he made a lot of purchases in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and probably Vietnam and Thailand.

I've picked up coins over the years that I've found in my change or at work but I've never actually bought or sold a coin. I would imagine that after I catalog everything I'll start to liquidate it here and there but I'm in no rush to do so.

I've got my Red Book, my magnifying glass, flips to put the coins in, and a scanner to keep a digital record of everything. I'll probably just catalog everything in a spreadsheet instead of buying a software package, but I'm open to having my mind changed on that.

Anyhow, that's me. I'm happy to be here and looking forward to learning a lot and asking a lot of questions.

I posted some of my stuff on Flickr years so if anyone wants to take a look you can go to:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP ... IEGaDH_YSJ

Towards the bottom you'll see an 1878 Morgan Dollar CC that is shown as VF on the card and it appears that he paid $4.95 for it. Anyone have a guess as to how long ago that would have been? I'm guessing that it would bring a few more than $5 on the market today. You can also see the few gold coins that I have. Again, as far as how real they are I have no idea.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yet another newbie

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome Brian!

You came to the correct place for help. I would say he bought that CC in the 60's but it would have been before 1980 at any rate.

I would be glad to help you with your collection.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome to the forum. I clicked your link to view the images but was told there was an error. :confused:

BrianT
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by BrianT »

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Quite a collection. Nice images. Thanks.

BrianT
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by BrianT »

Thanks. That was just the ones that would fit on the table in the little rooms they let you use.

This link has a lot of the same images, but it also shows some of the currency: https://goo.gl/photos/kGxUuXj3odLpLw7Z7