New to coin collecting with many questions!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
jesjon
Coinasieur

New to coin collecting with many questions!

#1 Unread post by jesjon »

:patriot: Hello I am proud to say that I began collecting coins in earnest about two months ago when I accompanied my friend on a metal detecting adventure. Since that day I have purchased metal detectors for my son and I and pretty much drive everyone crazy with the amount of attention I pay to coins, all coins... When I'm in a store at the checkout I pilfer the "need a penny take a penny, have a penny leave a penny" container that most stores have. I always carry a pocketful of "regular" pennies to replace the "need a penny" container and usually leave a few extra just to try to make up for this behavior that most cashier's don't understand. (I love some of the looks I get).
I have many questions about several coins that I've either found or dug up but as I have several hundred of each, I'll only ask about one at a time. My first question is this: I found a 2004-P Lewis & Clark nickel with numerous die breaks on the reverse side and I cannot find any info online about this certain coin so I'm wondering if anyone has seen this or did I find one that hasn't been documented yet? (Even though it's not a major error). I'll include some photos if I can figure out how...
Attachments
KIMG1966.JPG
KIMG1967.JPG
KIMG1968.JPG
Effect_20160412_141244.jpg
Effect_20160412_142159.jpg
Effect_20160412_142005.jpg
Effect_20160412_142058.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to coin collecting with many questions!

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Most of these are die chips.

The "break" between sail and sailor may be a break, but it is kind of fat.
Looks like this die was a bit brittle.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

jesjon
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by jesjon »

Thanks for the help! Do you think this has any value over 5¢?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and glad to see you into collecting coins and metal detecting. I don't get out enough myself.

Anyway, these are die chips. It is common to find die chips, die breaks, planchet bubbles on cents, strike doubling, slightly off center coins and rims that look doubled but are actually minor striking errors from the collar or edge die, and most of these add little to no value to the coin.

An exception would be a Speared Bison on a Jefferson Nickel or a Wounded Eagle for Sacagawea Dollar, but they became varieties because several were found just like each other. So there's only certain and specific varieties that are worth the money. I recommend buying Cherry Picker's Guide and looking through CONECA, this website and coppercoins.com

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:Most of these are die chips.

The "break" between sail and sailor may be a break, but it is kind of fat.
Looks like this die was a bit brittle.
:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

jesjon
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by jesjon »

Hello everyone! I've been gone for awhile trying to see if I could dig up something cool and although I haven't found any gold bullion yet, I have dug up a few interesting coins (and a few deck screws). First is this 1919 Wheatie, it's got what looks like part of a wheat leaf stamped on the obverse, to the right of Lincoln's head and above the date. Next is a 1928-S Wheatie with what looks like a double stamp mint mark. Lastly is a 1907 Indian Head, unremarkable other than the condition is amazing for a dig up.
I've heard conflicting advice and I'm wondering, should I just put these in protective flips without cleaning them? I have been running them under warm water and not scrubbing them, mostly so I can read the details.
Attachments
KIMG2058.JPG
KIMG2055.JPG
KIMG2057.JPG
KIMG2061.JPG
KIMG2062.JPG
KIMG2063.JPG
KIMG2059.JPG
KIMG2060.JPG

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

from your pics...... hugeeyes

the 1919 looks like a wheat on the obverse, but if it were a clash, it's just a bit out of place....IMO

the '28S picture is to fuzzy for me to see, but i know there are a few RPM's for that yr/mm
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

jesjon
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by jesjon »

Thank you PALH1! I seriously need to get some better photo/magnifying equipment. In your opinion, assuming the wheat is a clashed die, do you think these coins have any real value, eBay, etc?

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

jesjon wrote:Thank you PALH1! I seriously need to get some better photo/magnifying equipment. In your opinion, assuming the wheat is a clashed die, do you think these coins have any real value, eBay, etc?
of course they will have 'value' to the right collector, but keep in mind, "collectors" are looking for the "nicest" examples available.....
& keep in mind "what" :ebay: is.....
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep