1921 Peace dollar help needed by newbie

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Trimetime
Coining Around

1921 Peace dollar help needed by newbie

#1 Unread post by Trimetime »

Hello all and thanks for any advice in advanced. I've been collecting coins for about thirty years... mostly type coins like 2, 3, and 20 cent pieces and a week or so ago when talking to a uncle of mine about maybe selling some of my slab coins via heritage auctions  (commission free offer) he pulls out a few gold and silver dollars... non in which I know much about and ask "should send any to a grading service?" I don't have an answer for him... but I noticed a beautiful 1921 Peace dollar that I could only remember being a first issue and key date when I was collecting them as a kid. I checked the PCGS Grading app and found it rather useless IMO (to include other coin varieties within the app). All I know for sure is he got the coin in the early 1980s at a antique shop here in California. I have no idea if or how to tell if it is a mint or proof strike, nor grade (from compared photos I've looked at around the net... looks good, but I know nothing about the coin or strike)... or if it is a fake. Below are 16 photos I took with my phone. Ones that appear gold in tone were taken between two incandescent lamps and the silver tone were taken with LED flash. I am not good with the camera so I took 4 pictures of each light type on each side of the specimen rotating the coin 90deg in hope of having better light dispersal through the coin and any flaws. Any thoughts, suggestions, speculations, and facts would be greatly appreciated. He wants to off his collection to better care for his mother with alzheimers. Thank you all again and sorry for the many pictures... remove them as needed.
Attachments
20160321_205922-1-1.jpg
20160321_210050-2.jpg
20160321_210135-1.jpg
20160321_210403-1.jpg
20160321_212314-1.jpg
20160321_210004-1.jpg
20160321_210208-1.jpg
20160321_212326-1.jpg
20160321_212401-1.jpg
20160321_212415-1.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1921 Peace dollar help needed by newbie

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The coin looks to grade AU58 but hard to grade with images, no matter how good they're, but this is a nice coin.

I see a lot of small nicks and marks on the coin and that's indicative of being circulated (handled) often.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1921 Peace dollar help needed by newbie

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome: ,
the coin looks nice,....i'm not a S$1 'collector', so i have to rely on D here,.....

but i can say,.....AWESOME PICS FROM YOUR PHONE !!
:trophy: hugeeyes :trophy:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep